Radiesse for Under Eye Bags?

I'm considering getting radiesse under my eyes to help with the Bags.....what is your opinion. I've been reading a lot of reviews that don't suggest it under the eyes. I'm 27 so my skin should not be to thin. I'm considering getting radiesse under my eyes to help with the Bags. What is your opinion? I've been reading a lot of reviews that don't suggest it used under the eyes. I'm only 27, so my skin should not be to thin, thereby probably suited for the treatment.

Avoid thicker dermal fillers under the eyes

+5

A good exam by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be the best place to start. The question is what exactly is the anatomic issue that is causing the aged or "tired" look of your lower eyelids: is it too much skin, bulging fat, a deep tear trough, or a combination of these factors? Once the problem is properly identified, then you will have some options.

If indeed it is simply the tear troughs being too deep, I would personally recommend Restylane for this area, not Radiesse, Perlane, or Juvederm. Radiesse and Perlane are both simply too thick in my opinion for injection into such a delicate area, and the risk of both significant swelling, bruising or obivous bumps after the procedure can be high.

Juvederm, while similar to Restylane, is more hydrophilic (attracts more water) which makes it a great options in areas that you want to be more plump (like lips) but not as good under the eyes, as it can cause significant swelling that can take months to settle.

Some other surgeons may have a different experience with these products, and so I think it is important to have a good exam and consultation first before deciding on the course of action that would work best for you.

Dr. S

Not a Very Good Idea

+4

Hi Kayla,

Radiesse should not be used to fill the "tear trough" bag hollow under eyes. I would recommend Restylane for that area. This is a very delicate area that should only be injected by an expert, experienced physician only to minimize your chances of complications. Radiesse can be used to add volume to the mid-face and malar cheek area. At 27 you don't want to start having major complications from having the wrong filler placed in the wrong area. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Radiesse Not for Eye Region

+4

Radiesse is a filler agent that has Calcium microspheres that stimulate collagen growth on a temporary basis. The problem with this product is that it forms a semisolid implant once injected. This can be felt by patients in most cases when used to fill nasolabial folds. If used too superficially near the skin, it can also be seen.

Because of the anatomy of the lower eyelid, there is not enough soft tissue cover to hide the product once injected. The only place it can be used in the lower eyelid is deep down on the bone. Some physicians use this to increase the effect of other more superficially placed fillers. However, in isolation, you will probably not be pleased with the results. Look into using the hyaluronic acid based fillers (Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm Ultra, and Juvederm Ultra Plus). You will be happier with these products.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse not good for under eyes.

+3

Hi!

1)  Radiesse is dangerous in the under eye area and can leave you with bad lumps.

2)  This is a very unforgiving area, and in Manhattan, we only use Restylane in the tear troughs and under the eyes.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Radiesse under eyes

+3

Injecting Radiesse in the lower lids is not a great idea. It can leave very conspicuous bumps that are difficult to treat. I would use Juvederm or Restylane very carefully.

Radiesse is wonderful for some things, but not for tear troughs

+3

Radiesse (calcium hydroxyalapatite) is a fantastic filler for the nasolabial folds, which sit at the junction of the inner cheek and upper lip. However, it is (in my opinion) far too viscous a filler for correction of tear troughs. In fact, I would strongly caution a patient to stay away from this attempt at solving the problem.

I think it is important to first explore the causes of "under eye bags". In younger patients (20's-30's), it is more likley to be related to prominence of fat pockets that surround the globe (eyeball). In more mature patients (40's and up), the problem becomes more complex: patients usually have some degree of prominence of fat pockets, combined with midfacial descent, changes in muscle tone, and lower eyelid skin excess.

Although the concept of filling tear troughs has come into play in the last few years, it is certainly a very imperfect solution, because it doesn't address the changes I referred to above. I would go so far as to say that I have not yet seen a very good result from tear trough filling, with any form of filler, in anybody's hands. If the changes are dramatic enough, lower eyelid blepharoplasty (via the transconjunctival approach in younger patients and the subciliary approach in more mature patients) is generally a more complete, albeit more involved solution. Obviously, surgery is not for everyone, and I would not advocate it as such. Unfortunately, filling of tear troughs is generally a poor alternative; a patient's expectations should be modeled around the strength of a procedure.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bags or Troughs? - To Fill or Not To Fill, That is the Question

+3

Fillers such as Radiesse are meant to replace areas of lost tissue. They are therefore used for wrinkles, depressions, hollows, dents and so forth. Under the eyes you can use fillers like Perlane, Radiesse or Fat transfer to fill in what are known as tear troughs. Tear troughs are the depressions or shadows that occur just along the junction of the lower eyelid and the cheek. These can be filled or plumped to create a smooth contour of the lower eyelid.

Eyelid "bags" are different. This is a phenomenon created by fat pads pushing through the skin to form bulges in the lower eyelids. These bulges need to be removed surgically. The surgery is usually performed through an incision on the inside of the eyelid with no visible scars and can be combined with laser resurfacing to help tighten the eyelid skin and create a smooth finish. If a depression or tear trough also exists, then the fat can be repositioned or moved into this hollow area to plump where it needs to be plumped.

So when you look in the mirror, ask yourself if there are bags that protrude or hollows that create shadows or both and then you can decide what is the best procedure. The objective is to remove extra bulk and plump area that are depressed to create a smooth contour from eyelid to cheek. Your cosmetic surgeon will help you decide what procedure(s) are best suited for your needs.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse not the best under-eye choice

+2

In my practice, I do not recommend Radiesse for under the eyes.  Since the tissue under the eye is very thin and delicate, the filler that goes in should be thinner.  Additionally, Radiesse cannot be removed like hyaluronic acid products (Restylane), so if the results are not desirable or there is a problem, you will have to wait for it to naturally dissipate, which can take for 12 months or longer.  If the only problem encountered is swelling, this can be counted on to resolve itself in about 2 weeks. 

I encourage my patients to chose Radiesse for facial volume improvement along the cheeks and the jawline.  The chin can have beautiful results from Radiesse injections.  The long lasting results make it a great filler, it just needs to be used on the appropriate facial locations.

Narin (Dr.Joe) Apisarnthanarax, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Radiesse and under-eye bags vs. Juvederm

+2

There are better filler products to augment nasojugal folds or under-eye bags. These products, like Juvederm, which I prefer, have less risk of being palpable or visible in the area once injected.

Donna Rich, MD

Should I have Radiesse injections for the lower eyelid bags?

+2

No, Radiesse is very thick and is meant to be placed within the fatty tissue layers.  The skin, of the lower eyelids, is very thin and has no fatty layer.  Injecting thick fillers like Radiesse, Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus, in this thin skin, is likely IMHO to cause lumps, bumps and unsightly fullness.  Use Juvederm or Restylane instead.