Radiesse 1st Treatment Scheduled, Concerns & Questions

Having 1st Radiesse treatment next week & 1st time seeing this Dr. He's running a special @ 50% off. I want to take advantage of price & also be assured he knows what hes doing. What ?s should I ask him to help me know this? Would a RealSelf Dr run this same special? or does 50% off Radiesse sound to good to be true? Is Radiesse used exactly as from manufacturer or can Dr make it different strain like Botox? Are there several techniques to injecting Radiesse? One more successful than the others?

Radiesse injection: What to ask

+3

The most important thing to consider is the experience of the injector, including their training and understanding of facial anatomy.  Anyone with a medical degree can legally inject, but not all injectors are created equal.  If it truly is 50% off, they are likely injecting it at close to cost. Here in Salt Lake City, most of us charge around $500-600 per 1.5cc vial. Radiesse, when bought from Merz in the USA, comes in basically one type, but different syringe sizes, which also affects costs.  Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and get all the information available before proceeding.  One caveat, Radiesse, unlike the hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm, Restylane and Belotero, can't be easily removed if the injection doesn't go well. 

Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Questions when rushing for a Cosmetic Procedure discount.

+3

When you see a 50% off discount for a cosmetic procedure, please evaluate the situation before rushing to get it done.  What are the qualifications of the Doctor?  Is the Doctor doing the procedure?  Have your friends seen this Doctor?  What are the Doctor's reviews? What's the Doctors experience with fillers and Radiesse.  Sometimes this is a perfectly legit way to try to expand one's business but most of the time it's a non Plastic or non Facial Plastic Surgeon or non Derm that is trying to undercut because he/she is trying to get into the business.  Blunt cannulas are the way to go with the Radiesse for less bruising, less swelling, and less discomfort.  There are no knock offs for Radiesse.  There is a little more swelling with Radiesse than the other fillers like Restylane or Perlane and it's not reversable like the HA fillers..something to keep in mind.  See my video.  Steve Weiner, MD

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Radiesse treatments

+2

Radiesse is a great filler, especially for the nasolabial folds (laugh lines) and for cheek bones and jawline as it is a very firm filler which gives good lift and definition. Very few reputable and in demand physicians would offer a 50% discount; I certainly wouldn't. Most important are the qualifications of the physician, and to make sure it is a highly trained and experienced physician such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is injecting you. Since there is no specific antidote to radiesse as there is with juvederm and restylane, there is no room for error with this filler. There are various techniques to injecting radiesse or any other filler for that matter. Ask around about the reputation and training of this physician.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse injections

+2

Radiesse, like any injectable filler is just a tool. The results and safety profile are totally dependent on your injector. You need to choose a skilled surgeon who does the best possible work in order to achieve the best possible results. While cost is a factor, you really can't afford to take risks with your face.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to choose your injecting physician

+2

Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, “The only source of knowledge is experience”. Look for a physician who is very experienced in cosmetic procedures and with whom you are comfortable. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors. It's your face so please don't base your choice on price alone.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse

+2

Running a special, in and of itself, is not a red flag for inexperience. However, I would ensure that the injector is board certified in dermatology, ENT, plastics, or oculoplastics. You can ask for before-and-after photos or patient reviews. Anesthetic is usually mixed with Radiesse; there are not different strains of it. It is long lasting filler, and results usually last for 9 months. It is injected deep. I would avoid it in the lips and around the eyes.  

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

What to ask before Radiesse

+2

I tend not to inject Radiesse on first-time filler patients because there is no way to reverse it if you don't like it, or in this particular case, if something is questionable about the injector. Without knowing your injector or anything about him, it's hard to answer this. But the bottom line is that if something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Fillers

+2

There are fake fillers on the market, made in china, India and other countries.  Beware. The 50% discount is your first red flag.

Radiesse

+2

Pricing for fillers varies for many reasons. You could ask to have a consult, see if you feel comfortable, and at that time purchase the special. Quality of an injection far outweighs any sale/special in the long run. Best of luck! -Dr Boris

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

+1

You should ask the same questions, and have the same concerns, as if the special weren't being run.  Of course, each doctor can do what he or she wants in terms of pricing and offers for something like this (a self-pay aesthetic enhancement) but you have the right, and the option, to have your questions answered and to proceed, or not, with the treatment.  There are many reason why a doctor would have a special such as this and you may have an excellent treatment.

I would agree with a previous doctor that one thing that differentiates Radiesse is that it cannot easily be "dissolved" to the extent that an HA can (none can truly be dissolved 100% but an HA, such as Perlane, Restylane and Juvederm can be more easily manipulated post-injection, to at least some degree, than Radiesse can.)

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS