Radiesse for Sunken Eyes?

I'm 47 years old. I went for a consultation looking to find serums or products for my face. The lady I saw said not to waste time with products but said I look tired around my eyes and suggested getting Radiesse filler, Botox, and maybe Fraxel treatments.  Well, I can't afford it all but am considering the filler since my under eyes are a bit dark and sunken. Should I look at other fillers or would Radiesse be a good one to start with? Thanks for your advice!

Radiesse not recommended under eyes

+1
Radiesse is much thicker than most fillers and is white in color. It should not be injected under the eyes because the skin there is so thin that the product can leave visible lumps and bumps which are extremely hard to correct. Radiesse is more appropriate for a cheek augmentation or injection at the nasolabial folds.

Radiesse for Sunken Eyes?

+1

The eyelid skin is much too thin for Radiesse injections.  Radiesse in this area can cause granulomas that are unsightly.  The best place for Radiesse is nasolabial folds, malar augmentation, and as filler in the jowl area.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse for Sunken Eyes

+1

Radiesse is a calcium hydroxyapatite injectable that is useful for nasolabial folds and other soft tissue defects.  I would not inject to rejuvenate sunken eyes as the tissue of the lower lids is very thin and injection can result in bumps and granulomas that are not cosmetically pleasing.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Radiesse Not For Sunken Eyes

+1
Radiesse is easily injected to the nasolabial folds, around the mouth, in acne scars, and other soft tissue defects with minimal local anesthetic as an office procedure. Radiesse is also a very effective treatment for rejuvenationg the hands by filling areas between prominent veins, and providing soft tissue volume to skin that has been depleted by age and sun exposure. However, I would not recommend using Radiesse for sunken eyes. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Re: Radiesse for sunken eyes

+1

While Radiesse is an effective treatment to restore volume loss in the cheeks and naso labial folds, I do not recommend Radiesse to correct volume loss in the tear trough area.

I would recommend using a hyaluronic acid based product such as Juvederm or Restylane to treat sunken eyes. Tissue around the eyes is very thin and there is a greater risk of developing a lumpy result when Radiesse is used. Hyaluronic acid based products are more maleable and, therefore, more forgiving. In addition, clients that are not satisfied with the outcome of their treatment have the option to use a product (hyaluronidase) to disolve the filler. This is not an option when Radiesse is used.

Joseph Serota, MD
Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse not for sunken eyes

+1
Radiesse is a wonderful filler to add volume to the cheeks but it isn't optimal under the eyes. If the issue is cheeks being sunken, it is an appropriate treatment but the eyelid skin is thin and Restylane is the product of choice for lower lids. It is possible to get good results with Radiesse in is area but still inadvisable given the reports of lumps and other complications.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Do not use Radiesse under the eyes

+1

I am surprised that someone recommended Radiesse under your eyes. Anyone who is experienced with fillers knows that this should never be done. It is not safe to use Radiesse under the eyes, so I would highly recommend that you seek another opinion with a physician who is experienced with these treatments. My preference is to use Restylane under the eyes; it can produce a very natural, long-lasting result.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse is NOT advised around the eyes!

+1

Unlike the clear (transparent) HA fillers like Juvederm and Restylane, Radiesse is white in color, and does not do well around the eyes because of the thin and almost translucent skin in this area. It can be used by an experienced injector in numerous areas, but there is too much potential for poor cosmetic result around the eyes that truly experienced injectors know to avoid Radiesse around the eyes.

One other consideration is that HA fillers that are too-aggressively placed can be reduced or "dissolved" by injection of hyaluronidase (an enzyme that breaks down the hyaluronic acid fillers). There is NO similar way to remove Radiesse if you don't like how it looks, so you're pretty much "messed up" for as long as it takes to reabsorb on its own, which can be several years around the eyes!

Just say NO!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Do NOT do it!

+1

Radiesse is an excellent product but should never be used around the eye, in the tear trough or to improve hollow eyes.   I suggest an HA such as Restylane or Juvederm for treatments around the eyes.   

Radiesse is wonderful in the hand, the temple, the cheeks, the nasolabial folds, the facial skeleton and deeper augmentations.

Dr Grant Stevens  

Grant Stevens, MD

Radiesse for Sunken Eyes? No, No, No

+1

Hi xmascarol.  Do not consider using Radiesse below the eyes.  Radiesse is a great product but there are a couple areas it should not be used - the under eye area and the lips.

We have seen several very bad cases of inexperienced injectors using Radiesse in the under eye area that result in very poor outcomes including additional bagginess and even surgical removal in one instance.

We like Restylane for the "tear trough" (undereye) area because the product is much easier to place and is reversible if there are any complications using an enzyme called hyaluronidase.  Because there is very little movement in this area, Restylane also lasts longer than other areas, typically about 9-12 months.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD