Would Radiesse Be a Good Substitute for Restylane?

I've had Restylane twice into the Nasolabial folds and a little into my upper lip. I experienced broken capillaries in the folds, which I have some relief from V beam laser. It has been 2 yrs. since having the filler, and I would like to try something again.

Since, the Restylane, for me, evidently aggravated my roscea, my board certified dermatologist has suggested Radiesse because it goes a little deeper and lasts longer. Any thoughts to this?

Might be better for you to go for a shorter half life filler

+2

Restylane and radiesse are too completely different fillers. Restylane is hyaluronic acid based and usually last less than one year.

Radiesse is a Ca Hydroxyappetite product that is FDA approved for nasolabial fold injection. It does last longer 1.5 y or more according to company information.

Now, injecting radiesse might still aggravate your Roscea.It is wise to inject it in a deeper plane.However it could also last longer.

I would be more conservative and have a hyaluronic acide based substance(restylane or juvederm) injected deeper this time. Best of luck!

Any filler can make facial vessels more prominent

+1

Any filler can make facial vessels more prominent. This may occur because the overlying skin is stretched out, revealing minor imperfections that were originally hidden in the fold. Restylane and Radiesse are both good fillers. Restylane has the advantage of being reversible if a reaction occurs.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse is used in specific areas of the face

+1

Yes.  Radiesse is a good choice for the smile lines, unless they are very superficial then Radiesse would be too thick. Radiesse is not used in the lips though.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Radiesse as a substitute for Restylane

+1

Radiesse is a very good filler for the nasolabial folds and it lasts 9-12 months vs. 6-8 months for Restylane. Less frequent injections my result in fewer broken capillaries. No guarantee that you will not get any broken capillaries from this injection, however in 3 years of using it, I have not observed this with Radiesse ( or with Restylane). RAdiesse would not be able to be used around the mouth as it is too thick a filler for this area and has a risk of nodules (when used in that area but not elsewhere).

Susan Goodlerner, MD
Torrance Dermatologist

Radiesse vs. Restylane for Nasolabial Folds

+1

Restylane and Radiesse are two great dermal fillers but are used differently. Radiesse is hydroxyapatite and is designed to be injected in the deeper tissues close to the bone. Therefore, this is my preferred filler for the nasolabial folds especially around the nose as this is typically the most affected area.

Restylane is good for the lips as Radiesse cannot be used in the lips. It is also good for more superficial lines.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for folds

+1

Dear Elaine, Both Radiesse and Restylane are excellent fillers for the nasolabial fold. perlane is also a good filler and is applied a little deeper than Restylane. Any product can can some vessels to dilate in the area of injection. The longevity of the products is vatiable - you may have the same length of effect if the Restylane is repeated.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Restylane vs. Radiesse

+1

As you may have read they are two completely different substances. Radiesse does last much longer and is the injection of my choice for the nasolabial fold, because it goes a long way and give a nice correction and last about a year if not longer. It is injected deeper so you may not have the same issue you have with restylane.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Radiesse for nasolabial folds

+1

Radiesse is a nice filler for correction of the nasolabial folds. It typically lasts 12-18 months or longer in the nasolabial fold location but should not be injected into the lips. It is difficult to say whether you would still develop broken capillaries with Radiesse. Since this material is placed in a deeper location, any laser treatments after filler placement should not negatively affect the filler.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Restylane to Radiesse

+1

If you were happy with the improvement with the Restylane you should see the same improvement with the Radiesse but it will last longer. In my experience this is about 9-12 months for the nasolabial folds. If your only negative response to the Restylane were the "broken capillaries", you can resume the V Beam or try the Nd:YAG laser which is quite effective. The Radiesse can be placed a little deeper and this may help to decrease the risks of exacerbation of the rosacea.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon