Will Radiesse Solve Slight Folds Along Jaw Line Resulting from Lower Facelift?

I had a lower (Lifestyle lift) facelift last year and most of the results were great. However, I have ended up with a "draping" effect right above jaw line. If I "plump up" my cheeks with Radiesse, will that solve or help solve this problem? I would hate to have a mid-face lift and end up moving the "drapes" up my face.

You have several options

+2
This is a classic example of the limitations of a minilift, or "Lifestyle lift". I'm sure that if I had examined you prior to your procedure, I would have recommended a more sophisticated technique than the one that was performed. It would have been obvious that you would have ended up with these lines of tension with this limited technique.
The answer to your current problem is 1) consider a revision facelift with a more advanced techique such as a deep plane facelift with a customized platysmaplasty, 2) fill the depressions with restylane, juvederm, or radiesse, 3) consider fat grafting since we can harvest a much larger quantity of filler / volume with fat than you would want to pay for with the manufactured filler materials.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowl Folds after Facelift (Nike Swoosh)

+2

Judging from your photos, you have classic sweep appearance ("Nike Swoosh") after your facelift.

Options for improvement include filling of the depression (fillers such as Radiesse or facial fat grafting) although this will not help the remaining jowl. Alternatively, a second facelift needs to truly treat the jowl. Presently, it has been pulled to the side but, in your situation, the jowl tissues need to be moved vertically.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers to soften redraping issues

+2

It looks like your facelift may not have achieved what you want because you still have jowls and skin redraping issues.  Fillers can soften some of the depressions but you may want more of a formal facelift.

Folds along Jawline after Facelift

+2

Assuming the pictures show your appearance before and after surgery, the folds were present before the surgery, not caused by the operation. The best approach is to have a revision facelift. The fold can be temporarily improved with Radiesse injection or more permanently with fat liposculpture in the depression immediately above the jawline.

Radiesse to smooth jawline

+2

I'm in agreement with most other responding surgeons, but see the "lateral sweep" in your before picture also.  If you want the problem improved without further surgery, Radiesse (and possibly skin tightening or CO2 laser treatment) may be useful.  The residual jowl problem is likely a result of the limited (Lifestyle Lift) approach.

Steve Laverson, MD

Bad result from a life style lift

+2

The Life style lift is a poor mans facelift and from your photograph  it illustrates  a  result showing that it was poorly performed.  Your skin was never disconnected from the underlying musculature and just pulled up and back.  The muscles that should have been disconnected have been left attached to the corners of your mouth and the overlying skin has been pulled back  while the  underlying  muscles are pulling foward and down.  By not separating the skin from the under lying musculature you have developed this all to common appearance.  The treatment is easy.  Redo the procedure and separate the muscles of the mouth and cheek from the overlying skin.   Good Luck

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)

Lifestyle lift and the lateral sweep

+2

The reason you have the pulled up drape or fold of skin (looks like a Nike swoosh sign) is because the LS lift is just a marketed old fashioned mini lift done usually by non-plastic surgeons.  You can't fix this with Radiesse because it isn't a problem with deficient volume.  It needs a proper full facelift done to correct it.  This is one of the many problems with the mini lifts that are marketed and sound so attractive to unsuspecting patients.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Draping Effect Above the Jawline After Lifestyle Lift

+2

It is difficult to give a full opinion based on the photos.  However, the finding you have is what is described as a "lateral sweep", which looks similar to a Nike "swoosh" logo.  As Dr. Campanelli noted, this is not atypical after  quickly performed, and incomplete procedures.  This finding will not be improved significantly with Radiesse. The best option is to have a well executed Facelift which can improve your current situation, but may not completely eliminate the "swoosh".

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing a Poor Result

+2

One of the problems that can occur with a lower face/neck lift is an unnatural division between the treated area and untreated area.  I am sorry to say that filler is not a good choice.  What you need is a full face lift.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Result of inadequate lift

+1

The condition you have is called the 'lateral sweep' and is an unfortunate consequence of a having a mini lift when you should have had a more comprehensive lift.  One of the major issue I see with unhappy Lifestyle lift patients is that they were not good candidates for the limited procedure they received i.e. they would have, as you would have, benefited much more from a deep plane face lift.

Sam Naficy, MD