Is Radiesse Safe to Use with a Diagnosis of Scleroderma/polymyositis?

The disease is not active, and I have safely had restylane and juvederm over the past several years. However, I have learned that Sculptura is contraindicated for people with scleroderma.

Radiesse safe in Scleroderma/Polymyositis

+2

All fillers stimulate collagen production by the overlying skin. That includes Radiesse, even though it is  "immunologicelly Inert".  It is difficult to predict if, once stimulated into producing new collagen, the Fibrocytes  of a patient with Scleroderma would not continue to do it excessively. This is purely a theoretical concern.

I would be less affraid of  injecting autologous fat, knowing that anything that distends the skin long term, may stimulate the fibrocytes to produce Collagen to an excessive degree.

A discussion of this issue with your Rhumatologist may be useful.

Always make sure that you are being treated by an experienced, Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon

Chicago Dermatologist

Radiesse in Patient with Scleroderma/Polymyositis

+1

I would not be willing to inject Radiesse into a patient with Scleroderma. Sculptra, and to a lessor extent Radiesse, both stimulate collagen production which is the disease process with these disorders. I'm not willing to risk the possibility of stimulating a medical problem to achieve a cosmetic improvement.

Safety of Radiesse with scleroderma

+1

I would not be comfortable injecting Radiesse in a patient with a history of scleroderma. Restylane and Juvederm are hyaluronic acid fillers so they should be perfectly safe for superficial wrinkles. Stimulatory fillers such as Radiesse and Sculptra work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they are much more effective at treating problems due to volume loss. Since scleroderma is a disease that causes overproduction of collagen I would be concerned as to the safety of injecting Radiesse.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon