Any Negatives to Using Radiesse or Restylane for Chin Augmentation?

I know it doesn't last as long, but is chin augmentation using Radiesse or Restylane less effective or not as natural as a surgical implant?

Disadvantage to NS Chin Augmentation

+2

In my opinion, the ONLY disadvantage to using Radiesse (I don't believe Restylane is a good filler for the chin) is that it is temporary. Other than that, it is a wonderful tool to use for chin augmentation, especially because the procedure can be guided in real-time by the patient. 

Filler versus chin implant

+1
Radiesse is a better filler for the chin as it holds its shape better than Restylane. While fillers are temporary I believe they're better as our face continues to change with age and what's best today may not be best later.  The risks of an implant are also greater as it is a surgical procedure. Good luck with your decision.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Negatives to the use of Radiesse and Restylane for chin augmentation (genioplasty)

+1

Chin augmentation (or genioplasty) with fillers are just as natural as a surgical implant. However, given the non-permanency of Radiesse or Restylane, an implant is probably more cost effective. Depending on the amount of augmentation you need, this may cost you anywhere from $400 to $1000+. Chin implant surgery may cost from $2000 to $4000 depending on the geographic location, experience of the surgeon and other factors. After only one to two years, you can see how it may be more beneficial to choose surgical chin augmentation. Also, most implants used can easily be removed without any untoward side effects if you are unhappy with the results.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Negatives to Radiesse or Restylane

+1

A filler, such as Restylane or Radiesse is as effective and natural as an implant, but the downside is that it isn't permanent and will require that you come back for more product as it is dissolved overtime.  A surgical implant is the only permanent solution for chin augmentation.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Any Negatives to Using Radiesse or Restylane for Chin Augmentation

+1

Radiesse and Restylane and Juvederm will give great results for chin augmentation  with proper injection techniques. The main problem is lack of permanency. Cost wise it would be better to have a chin implant procedure which is permanent.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Radiesse and Restylane in the Chin

+1

The biggest negatives to Radiesse and Restylane in the chin is the amount of filler needed and the need for repeat injections. Based on cost and aesthetics, a chin implant is the better option for the vast majority of patients.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for Chin Augmentation

+1

Fillers can be used to augment the chin area, however, the results are not as long lasting as an implant. The choice of filler depends on the objectives of the treatment. Generally, radiesse will provide a longer result and more firm. Using hyaluronic acids would require a lot of material and would be cost prohibitive. I prefer to use a chin implant, however, the use of fillers gives a good idea of what result is expected. Thank you.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse, fillers for Chin Augmentation

+1

Dear Straw

Radiesse is an excellent filler for Chin Augmentation (this is an 'off label' indication). The injection can be done in 15 to 20 minutes in the office with very precise results that can last a year or more. The benefits include- no operative downtime, precise contouring- the posterior jawline can be shaped as well, a chance to see what a permanent implant can look like, very little risk of complications.

You can have bruising- this can last up to 10 days. Radiesse has very few complications if used correctly.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

We use Juvederm for chin augmentation.

+1

Hi!

The only negatives to chin augmentation with fillers are that, as you say, it is not permanent, and that poor injection technique can lead to a bad result.

In Manhattan, we use Juvederm.  Restylane does not last as long, and Radiesse, when injected very deep, can lead to unwanted bone formation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Injectable fillers work well for minor chin enhancement.

+1

The most reliable, permanent method to enhance your chin is with a silastic Chin Implant (silicone elastomer). This is a relatively inexpensive procedure, with little downtime, and a long track record of safety.

That being said, I have personally used injectable fillers to improve a chin that needed just a pinch more, after Chin Implant surgery. This provided subtle improvement that was satisfying for my patient and me.

So if your chin needs only mild enhancement, injectable fillers are an option.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon