Does Radiesse Promote Collagen More Than Other Injections?

Stimulating Collagen Production with Radiesse Injections

+1

Radiesse injections will stimulate collagen production more than the hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm and Restylane, but not as much as a product like Sculptra. The choice of product will depend on where it is being used, how much is necessary, what is the reason for the injection, and the experience of your physician.

Radiesse for collagen production

+1

Radiesse is an excellent choice for a filler treatment on the face. Although stimulation of collagen production and the so -called stimulatory agent is traditionally thought of as Scultpra. We are finding that even other filler agents including Radiesse and even hyaluronic acid fillers have biostimulatory properties too.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse and Collagen Production

+1

Radiesse actually does stimulate collagen production to a greater extent than other dermal fillers like Juvederm and Restylane. 

Radiesse is made of a compound called calcium hydroxylapatite. This is actually a component of collagen. So injections actually stimulate the process of collagen formation by supplying this key element at a relatively fast rate.

Research shows that over time Juvederm and Restylane also promote the synthesis of new collagen by stimulating the skin's wound healing response. Many cosmetic procedures work according to this mechanism of deliberately creating wounds so that the dermal layer will attempt to heal itself by producing new collagen.

But overall, the rate of collagen production is far less with these injections compared to Radiesse. This is why Radiesse can be relied upon to correct various forms of structural issues and restore firmness.

The patient in this video had Radiesse injections to correct sagging jowls. You can see the difference in the before and after pictures. The collagen is what helped to lift her jowls and tighten her skin to restore her natural jawline.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse is a "stimulatory" filler

+1

It is important to understand the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers. When treating problems due to volume loss such as cheek hollows and sagging skin beside the mouth, I will almost always use stimulatory fillers such as Radiesse and/or Sculptra. They are injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. They work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they are much more effective at treating problems due to volume loss. It is my preferred treatment, even in first time filler patients, for areas that need greater volume. I also routinely use Radiesse in the tear troughs where, when carefully injected, give a very nice, long-lasting result.

The video below shows me injecting my wife with Radiesse into her lower cheeks, marionette lines, and jaw line and has before and after pictures to show you the results.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Radiesse Promote Collagen Formation

+1

Hello.  Although Radiesse is considered a "scaffold like" product that can lead to the development of new collagen in the dermis, the choice of a dermal filler should be based on the injection area and duration rather than collagen formation.

The effect of collagen stimulation is small compared to the volume replacement effect created by Radiesse.  Therefore it is much more important to consider which product is more appropriate for an area (Radiesse cheeks, Restylane lips, tear trough, both for naso-labial) than the very minute benefit of collagen stimulation.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Radiesse is a stimulatory filler

+1
You are correct that Radiesse promotes collagen formation. This is why it lasts longer than the hyaluronic acids fillers. Radiesse is excellent for volume restoration, particularly in the cheeks, but should not be used in the tear troughs or eyelid region. Restylane works very well in areas with thinner skin or in patients who are reluctant to commit to a longterm solution, in the event that they are unhappy with the result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Radiesse and Collagen

+1

Stimulatory fillers such as Radiesse (and Sculptra) work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they are more effective at treating problems due to volume loss. Hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, and Perlane aren't stimulatory fillers and don't have this ability. However, I rarely do Radiesse on people who have never had fillers before. There is no counter product for Radiesse if a patient doesn't like it, while HA fillers can be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD