Radiesse for Nasolabial Folds - Best Methods

I consulted with a doctor on radiesse for my nasalabial fold, he said that the injection is on cheek area above the fold to raise the fold. Is it the best method? My opinion is that the weight of the filler will push down to make the fold more deeper (as one of the viewer indicate in best methodsQ&A). Putting filler on the indent under the cheek area or above the cheek bones might raise it(need a lot filler). What is the problem of injection near the fold?

Best Way to Fill Nasolabial Folds.

+1

Hi Jong.  Wthout a picture, it is difficult what we would have suggested, but with deep nasolabial folds, we usally incorporate a combination of upper cheek volumizing and filling in the nasolabial crease itself.  

Injecting the upper cheek can essentially releive some of the pressure (or weight) on the area around the nasolabial fold by pushing this area outward (and thus updward).  Then filler s used in the fold itself to hde the crease and provide a smoother appearance.

Radiesse for Nasolabial Folds

+1

When a patient comes to me for correction of prominent nasolabial folds I almost always recommend injection of the lateral cheeks to create "lift" which causes immediate improvement of the nasolabial folds before that area is even injected. I will often inject what we call "vector points" that are higher up along the lateral cheek to give even greater lift and a more triangular shaped, more youthful appearance to the face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Naso labial fold fillers

+1

first you need to evaluate the cause of deep nasolabial fold. Evaluate the face, loss of fat, cheeck fat drooping down. fillers do not replace the need for face lift to correct the problem. If you have to try a filler useRestylane, if you do not like it it can be reveresed, you only lost some money. Or consult more than one plastic surgeon.

Entire midface needs to be addressed to treat nasolabial folds

+1

I agree with what your doctor and the commenters have side. Facial folds can be a black hole for filler if the root cause of the deep fold is not also addressed. Subtle increase in cheek volume can reduce the amount of filler actually needed in the fold itself and provide a more natural appearance.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse directly into the nasolabial folds may distort the face

+1

Nasolabial folds appear to be wrinkles, but filling them often distorts the face. The deepening of the nasolabial fold is caused, in part by loss of support from the cheek above. Filling the cheek does lift and give a very natural rejuvenated appearance to the face and improves the depth of the nasolabial fold

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Your doctor is correct

+1

I almost always inject dermal filler into the lateral cheeks when treating the nasolabial folds. This will lift the fold more naturally and avoid over-filling the nasolabial fold and causing a monkey look to the mouth area.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Treatment of smile folds

+1

There has been a revolution scientifically in how we think of the face and the reasons for the aged appearance. Volume reduction of the infrastructure of the face occurs by fat wasting. As the cheek loses this support, it falls down pushing on the smile fold and creating a deeper fold by starting to hang over it.  The fold can still be filled by injecting slightly to the inside of the fold when the injector is placing the filler underneath the fold. Every patient has to be evaluated and their specific anatomical situation is then addressed. There is the science but also the art of revolumization. The aesthetic sense of what needs to be filled can be different from patient to patient and physician to physician. A baby is born with smile creases and no one would say the baby looks old with those cherubic cheeks. Models with young full mid cheeks that have a convex contour can have smile folds that keep harmony with their face. The goal is to make the face look similar to what it once was, not to create a totally different structure and shape so discuss your concerns with your doctor.

Ronald Shelton, MD