Why Didn't Radiesse Last for me As Claimed by the Producer Mfr?

I had 2 syringes of Radiesse, 0.8 injected into both cheeks in late April, 11' by an R.N. working as an daily basis giving injections of several different fillers. She told me I could expect the filler to last at least for 9 mos. to a year. By June of 11', my cheeks were flat, as if nothing was used to enhance my facial looks. I contacted the Mfr. I believe, who is Mertz, (sp) and they contacted the R.N. who claimed that I needed at least 1.5 per syringe. She never told me that. No photo given

+2

I use quick a bit of Perlane and Radiesse for Cheek Augmentation and IMHO, it typically takes two, 1.5 syringes to shape the cheeks.  Radiesse will last up to 12 months, Perlane abouit 8 or 9 months but IMO, if you use the bare minimum (as in your case) as soon as some of the material goes away, the results appear below the aesthetic ideal.

I'd suggest having the cheeks fully augmented using either Perlane or Radiesse by an MD with great aesthetic judgement (because there's no inherent magic in the fillers themselves) and see what you get and how long it lasts.  For permanent cheek augmentation, I use silastic Cheek Implants.

Why Radiesse didn't last

+2

It is almost always a matter of using "enough" of a volume filler like Radiesse to make a significant difference and get a longer lasting result. I never use the 0.8 cc syringes of Radiesse in my practice because I believe they are not cost-effective. Why not use one syringe of Radiesse divided equally between both cheeks instead of two of the o.8 cc syringes? The cost (for the doctor and patient) should be much less. Depending on the amount of volume loss, one syringe may not be enough. Radiesse should last 12 to 15 months. A booster injection 3 months after the initial injection will usually prolong the duration of Radiesse for 15 to 18 months. It may not be enough to see an RN who injects every day. Because this is an art as much as it is a science, it is especially important to remember that the technique of the physician injecting Radiesse is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse Longevity

+2
I agree that it was likely due to insufficient product used. Having said that, there are individual differences that no one can account for. I would try one more time and if it happens again, then Radiesse is not for you.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse

+2

Although it is hard to say without seeing you, generally 0.8cc of Radiesse is not sufficient to achieve enough of a result that will sustain.  Generally the 1.5cc syringes are needed for the midface and lower facial areas.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Not working

+2

Unfortunately, the filler products vary in longevity from person to person. I find that Radiesse cheek injections last about one year or longer. Obviously injection technique can also play a role. Try again with Perlane

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Radiesse longevity

+1
I do not use the .8 cc syringes. Many medispas advertise bargain rates per syringe and then inject less product which does not do the job. I agree with others that the amount injected was in all likelihood insufficient. I would also encourage you to see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who will not just inject but have the clinical judgment appropriate to patient treatment.

Robert L. Kraft, MD