Radiesse or Juvederm Ultra for Smile Lines?

Is Radiesse or Juvederm Ultra better suited for smile lines? I am referring to oral commisures (corner of mouth) and marionette lines. Also, would 1 syringe of Radiesse provide more filler than 1 syringe of Juvederm? Thank you.

Pick the right filler for the right application

+2

Brunetteone

I use quite a bit of Radiesse, Juvederm, and Restylane in the practice, as each has areas that excel. Nationally, about three times as much restylane and juvederm are used compared to radiesse, but that might be just because they have been around longer. In truth, all three are excellent products.

For your areas of question, I would suggest juvederm. Radiesse just does not fill as well superficially, which is an area (the oral commissure) you mentioned. Plus you can layer the juvederm to improve results: deep for the depth of the commissure and the ml fold, and superficial for any residual etchings of wrinkle on the surface. And finally if you don't like that, the product is reversible. So overall, it just allows more precision to you and your surgeon.

One last thing. We are trying to do our best to direct patients to "core specialties". That means derm, oculoplastic, facial plastic, and plastic surgeons. That way you will truly get an expert opinion.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse is for the cheeks and deep folds

+1
Radiesse is a facial filler which contains medical grade calcium, compatible with the body, in a gel medium.  It is a great product for lifting and filling the cheeks, malar region and deep grooves or depressions below the nose.  Do to its properties, Radiesse, should be positioned deeply above the bone or it will appear lumpy.  Therefore, it is not a product for lines around the mouth which are more superficial in nature. When Radiesse is used to lift and contour the cheeks first, the lines next to the mouth are not as deep.  Other fillers such as Hyaluronic acids, Juvederm, Expression & Restylane can then be used to soften and smooth out lip-lines, nasolabial folds and creases that extend to the jawline.  When  properly used liquid fillers yield a refreshed, healthy and natural appearance.  

Jeffrey S. Rosenthal, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Achieves Great Results for Smile Lines

+1
I use only Juvederm products, as I have always been happy with the results. For the oral commisures and marionette lines, I would recommend using Juvederm ultra plus or Voluma, depending on your age. This could be determined in your consultation with your injector.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Nasolabial fold injections of Radiesse - Los Angeles

+1

I advise patients to have the Radiesse stimulatory filler as opposed to Juvederm for the nasolabial folds as it provides nice longterm effects and collagen stimulation in the area. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Both great...either will do...and you'll be happy with both...

+1

sometime too many choices cause confusion and anxiety about what you should do...but in this case both are great products...juvederm might have the advantage since it can fix both the superficial and deeper creases...radiesse might have a slight advantage for treating just the deeper folds...juvederm is more popular and if you don't like the results, it's easier to correct the problem...if you've never had any filler, I'd suggest getting your first treatment with juvederm

Ken Landow, MD

Smile line fillers

+1

Hi! The fillers most commonly used in our practice are Juvederm, Restylane (hyaluronic acid fillers) and Radiesse (calcium hydroxyapatite) and each can produce wonderful results. Each of these fillers can be used to correct these lines however keep in mind that Radiesse is made up of a different material than the Juvederm and Restylane. In fact, I normally like to use Juvederm or Restylane for this area because it can be placed more superficially and if there were to ever have any complications, the material can be dissolved with hyaluronidase. Radiesse can not be dissolved and if placed too superficially, the material can be lumpy, uneven and can be seen through the skin. (Note that the other fillers can display a blue tinge through the skin if placed too superficially as well.) In my opinion, Juvederm is the best for marionette lines as it is more thicker and provides more support (more so than Restylane) and Radiesse is the best for cheek contouring although it is also good for very deep rhytides. The Juvederm comes in a 1cc syringe and Radiesse in1.5cc syringe.

Stacy Chimento, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse and Juvederm for smile lines

+1

For the specific areas you mentioned, I use Juvederm for superficial lines, Radiesse for deeper lines needing more support, and both Radiesse and Juvederm simultaneously for really deep lines when necessary.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm smile works great for the lips

+1

In our clinic we prefer Juvederm ultra smile for lip treatments. We have a special technique, so rarely a lip block is needed.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Radiesse for Smile Lines

+1

Radiesse and Juvederm are both great products for nasolabial folds and marionette lines. Depending on how deep your folds are would determine the product the physician will use. Radiesse is not recommended for your lips, this product sometimes forms nodules. Radiesse syringe contains 1.5cc and Juvederm contains 0.8cc of product.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Smile lines and oral commissures with Juvederm or Radiesse

+1

Juvederm Ultra Plus and Radiesse are more similar in thickness and placement in depth, than Juverderm Ultra and Radiesse. Radiesse comes in a 0.8 and a 1.5 cc syringe whereas the Juvederm Ultra Plus comes in a 1cc syringe. Both work very well. We avoid placing Radiesse into the red lips as it may form nodules or bumps. If the Juvederm Ultra Plus produces an unwanted result, such as an overcorrected lump, it can be removed more readily than Radiesse or dissolved by injecting hyaluronidase. If one were to use Juvederm Ultra, it can be injected higher in the treatment plane than the Juvederm Ultra Plus or Radiesse, so it can be injected more superficially near the oral commissure if needed to lift it further. There is a chance of bluish discoloration from the Juvederm Ultra if it is too superficial bu this can be treated.

Ronald Shelton, MD