Juvederm Vs. Radiesse for Cheek Augmentation?

How do you like Radiesse vs Juvederm for restoring volume to hollow cheeks?

High fuller cheek bones without surgery

+2

I favor Radiesse for cheek augmentation. I think the hyaluronic acids such as Juvederm work well in areas that have thinner skin and are more out to show a lump. Examples of these areas include the lower eyelid and lips.

Radiesse seems to fill more given equal amounts and for a hollowed out cheek it is my preference. I will usually inject Radiesse into the cheeks and then wait about two weeks. If the lower eyelid tear trough is still hollowed out I will inject a hyaluronic acid to fill in this area.
The injectables have come a long way with cheek augmentation. It used to be if a patient wanted a higher cheek bone the only thing that we could offer was injectable silicone or silicone cheek implants. The problem with injectable silicone is that it is permanent. As we age the cheek fat pad drops. Those patients that had silicone have a hollowed out cheek with a fullness(silicone) below the cheek bone. The silicone was permanent but the space it was in dropped as the patient aged giving an unusual look.

Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Fuller Cheeks

+2

I have used both Juvederm and Radiesse to restore volume to the cheeks. Both work well, given that an adequate volume of filler is used. That being said, I personally favor Radiesse for cheek augmentation. It lasts longer and gives fantastic results. In fact, this is my preferred use for Radiesse.

Radiesse can be mixed with local anesthesia and injected in a layered fashion to give a more youthful appearance. Results are immediate and there should be minimal bruising.

Enjoy your new cheeks!

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I do quite a bit of facial shaping, cheek augmentation using fillers (Perlane, Radiesse) or Cheek Implants and my filler of choice for cheek augmentation has switched from Radiesse to Perlane.  We call Perlane our "red carpet filler" because you can jave it injected today and look good enough to hit the red carpet tonight.  

Radiesse is a great facial shaping filler but it does have more swelling and transient lumpiness (for a few days) so we prefer using that for shaping the Jaw line.  The video here shows both Perlane Cheek Augmentation and Radiesse Jaw Line augmentation.   Using fillers to shape the face does, IMHO, require a thorough understanding of the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.  

Radiesse works best for cheek augmentation

+1

While I like both products very much, it is more cost effective to use Radiesse for skeletal augmentation. The technique involves precise placement of discreet boluses just above the existing bone structure followed by molding into a smooth even contour which looks very natural. Additional layers with the same filler or another product, such as Juvederm or Restylane can be added. Fat transfer is still the best procedure for purely volume restoration (not skeletal augmentation)  in my opinion.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon