Radiesse Injection Technique-internal (Through Mouth) Vs External?

Is it true that it is safer to have Radiesse injected externally rather than internally (up through the mouth into the cheeks)? I am very worried about nerve damage or worse: blindness!!! Additionally, if someone would be kind enough to recommend a surgeon in the Portland, OR area- an expert in facial fillers for cheek augmentation, I would greatly appreciate it!

+2

I have used Radiesse to shape the Cheeks, Chin and Jaw Line for many years and IMHO, there's no value, reason or need to inject Radieese through the mouth for Cheek Augmentation.  What's the most important in Cheek Augmentation, using Perlane or Radiesse, as with any plastic and cosmetic surgery procedure is the proper aesthetic judgement of how much to use and where it's placed.  

Fillers have no inherent knowledge of where and how much they need to be placed in order to create the proper aesthetic size and shape.  That responsibilty rests with the Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon or MD doing the injections, so choose your provider based on their aesthetic skill.

Radiesse should not be injected through the mouth

+1

When injecting through the mouth, you risk dragging oral bacteria along the needle and infecting the area where the filler is placed.  There is no advantage to this technique.  The absolute safest way to inject Radiesse in my opinion is using the blunt cannula technique.  There risk of bruising, swelling, and vascular injury is minimized and results are optimized.  Cleansing the skin with Hibiclens and alcohol will help prevent infection.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Technique for Radiesse

+1

First, you should select a physician who is experienced in the techniques of filler injections. The depth and location of the filler placement is different for each of these products. There are advantages and disadvantages of each. The answer to your question about the technique for Radiesse injections applies to all fillers - sterility is important. Inject through the skin, not a contaminated field like the mouth. Injecting through the mouth will not be safer.

Injection Techniques with Radiesse

+1

These types of techniques are injector preference specific... There is no right or wrong way.  In my office we "prefer" injecting from the outside of the skin.  As for risks, they are almost the same...

I would highly encourage you to go to a reputable place with a highly experienced provider.  Radiesse is a fabulous product if used correctly.  Patient satisfaction is very high when used and injected correctly.

Dr. Grant Stevens        

Grant Stevens, MD

No reason to inject Radiesse through the mouth

+1

Radiesse can be used to shape the cheeks and other areas of the face. There is absolutely no reason to inject the product through the mouth. Find an experienced injector in your area that has used Radiesse or other fillers to augment the face.

Donna Rich, MD

Best Radiesse injection techniques

+1

Because filler injections are an art as much as a science, it is especially important to remember that the experience and artistic ability of your injecting physician is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. I have been injecting Radiesse for over 8 years and am a member of the Radiesse Medical Education Faculty so I train other physicians how to inject Radiesse. In select cases for many years I have been using the "intraoral injection technique" with great success. The treatments are almost painless and rarely cause bruising. When carefully and properly done, the results are as good as any other method of injecting. Adverse effects from these types of injections are also exceedingly rare when done by an experienced injector.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon