Radiesse Injection Site Left With Bumps?

I was injected with Radiesse many times. My last experience I was left with bumps at the needle sites. Waited for one month hoping they would flatten out. Went back to Dr and was told they were calcium deposits. He went in with a needle to try to break them up. You would hear the crunch. They then injected with Rystalane. Needless to say black & blue, swollen. Is it possible it was a bad batch? Should I never use it again?

+1

Radiesse injected too superficially or in a large amount in a small area can produce this result.  HA fillers may be a little better due to particle size and composition.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Bumps After Radiesse

+1

After an injection of Radiesse, patients may experience redness, bruising, swelling or other local side effects. Most side effects of treatment resolve within a few days. More rare side effects may include swelling that lasts longer, unevenness or firmness in the area injected, and as with any injection, there may be a risk of infection. I would suggest using different injectables in the future to avoid further issues or receive the treatment from a different doctor. Best of luck. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Radiasse after effects

+1

unfortunately, this rare occurence can happen.  There are several factors that may conribute to this, i.e. poor injection technique, possibly defective material.

I would consider alternative injectables in the future.

H. Eliot Y. Ghatan, MD

Radiesse bumps

+1

It is likely that when you were injected with the radiesse that some of the product might have been deposited at the skin level and you had some bumps from that. They can typically be removed with the needle. Sometimes if they are deeper it may just require some time for your body to absorb them. You may have to consider alternative injections of another product in the future or use the product differently.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse - bad batch or bad injection?

+1

It is likely that some of the Radiesse was injected too superficially. Most adverse side effects can be prevented with good technique and experience. Injecting slowly into the correct tissue plane will usually prevent what you are describing. As you have had a good experience with Radiesse in the past, there is no reason to expect it to be any different in the hands of a good injector.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon