Radiesse Was Injected into my Trough/cheek Area About Six Weeks Ago.

I was delighted with the newly restored fullness; unfortunately, the result has totally disappeared! I've been reading that Radiesse stimulates collagen over time, but why has the effect vanished? Thanks.

Radiesse is a great volume filler

+1

RAdiesse may help restore volume very well but the depth of the injection may make a difference in the longevity, as can the amount of anesthetic with which it is mixed, and one's unique metabolic rate. The collagen that is disucssed often that the body produces as a result of filler injections, is subtle and real but not the same volume that one receives from Sculptra over months after its injection.

Radiesse Cheek Effects

+1

Radiesse is a wonderful filler to restore cheek volume and the results can be dramatic.  I have found that in some patients the initial result is falsely magnified by mild soft tissue swelling, as well as the local anesthetic mixed with the product, and it often "settles" after the first week or two.  However, it does not completely go away, and comparing to your "before" pictures should confirm this.

You can always have more Radiesse injected at this point to further improve the result.  You should then be good for 9-12 months or longer!

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse not advised in tear trough area

+1

IMHO, Radiesse is to thick, of a soft tissue filler, for placement in the tear trough area.  Radiesse is meant to be injected into the fatty tissue layers and the tear trough has no such layer.  Radiesse lasts about 10-12 months but you may have had very small amount placed, in which case....the results would go away quicker.  Restylane or Juvederm , placed through the inside of the lower eyelid so it's placed deep in the tear trough, is the accepted method of filling this area.

Radiesse is a great option for augmenting the cheeks

+1

Radiesse is one of my favorite fillers for augmenting th cheeks. I find that is provides a long-lasting (10-12 months) and natural looking results. There is naturally some swelling after injection. The swelling can last a few days to a week, then the material "settles" into place at aroiund 2 weeks.  It is likely that you got "used to" the swollen look and now that the swelling has subsided, you feel as if it has gone away.  You may benefit from the addition of some more filler. You did not indicate exactly how much you had injected, but I routinely inject about 1.5cc (one full syringe) into each cheek.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Initial Radiesse effects are usually due to swelling

+1

Radiesse does cause swelling immediately after the injection.  This swelling subsides between 3 and 7 days after the injections.

Radiesse corrects into ways:

1. there is an immediate correction with the calcium hydroxylapatite crystals and the vehicle gel

2. as the gel dissolves, the CaHa crystals stimulate new collagen deposition in the dermis

What most likely happened is the swelling went down and there is less correction than previously.  Actually for Radiesse this is conservative and a good decision.  There is no way of dissolving excess Radiesse, but you can always add a little more.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse injections

+1

Are you sure it was Radiesse?  Radiesse should last at least 6 months to a year.  I am wondering if the result you were seeing was do to swelling from the Radiesse injections and that you actually need more product to achieve the best result.  However, in the trough area, I would suggest Juvederm Ultra XC as it can be "melted" if you do not like the results.  Radiesse is great for your cheeks.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Radiesse Does Not Disappear

+1

Your Radiesse has not "disappeared" but is in a state of transition. Once injected, the process of new collagen formation starts as Radiesse works below your skin's surface to stimulate the production of your own collagen, which replenishes lost facial volume to smooth out the signs of aging. Within several months of your treatment, only the calcium particles remain which act as a scaffolding around which your collagen has formed. Radiesse typically lasts 12 to 15 months. A booster injection 3 months after the initial injection will usually prolong the duration of Radiesse for 15 to 18 months. Since you were delighted with the results initially, you should have your booster injection in the next month or two to bring things back to the way you like. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

2 reasons why correction of Radiesse has gone

+1

Radiesse has typically more swelling than all the other fillers.  So after about 3 days, the initial correction will look less corrected.  Also, Radiesse is a combination of Calcium spheres and a liquid medium.  The liquid will gradually absorb over a 3 week period.  Collagen will take some time (maybe 4-6 weeks) to form.  So there is typically a loss of correction which then comes back somewhat when collagen is formed.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Don't confuse swelling with permanent results

+1

The satisfactory result you were seeing might have just been the result of some temporary swelling. You might simply need additional product injected in order to get back to the volume that would help you reach your goals.  Experienced injectors quite often "stage" injections - especially for first time patients - to avoid over-treatment.  It sounds like in your case, you would be happy with a little more volume.

Sam Naficy, MD