Can Radiesse Be Injected into the Lower Third of the Nose, Tip and Columella?

I have heard radiesse can be use to strengthen cartilage in the nose. I know that radiesse has to be injected deeply. Is this in the subcutaneous layer or the cartilage? What would happen if cartilage became perforated during a radiesse injection? I understand radiesse can be used in a nose with little cartilage to provide support in this case. I would like to know if anyone has experience with general radiesse injections in the tip of the nose. HA fillers in the tip are safe but not as effective

Radiesse Injections in Nasal Tip and Columella

+2

I will inject Radiesse in the nasal bridge bettween the skin and underling structures , but in not the tip. Radiesse is a filler but will not increase the strength of the cartilage. HA fillers in the tip are effective but will not last as long as Radiesse. If you have tip narrowing or collapse cartilage grafts are the best choice and will last a lifetime.

Radiesse is useful in reshaping the nose

+1

Radiesse has been used commonly in the root of the nose to make it straighter if there is a hump in the dorsum of the nose.  The Radiesse doesn't reduce the hump but it makes a straighter line on profile.  It has been injected by some on the tip and columella.  There is a risk of intra vessel injection and if this occurs, of if there is too much compression of the tissues around a vessel.  In the root of the nose, if the filler moves up towards the area between the eyebrows, then necrosis, or death, of the tissue can ensue leaving someone with a scab and then scar texture and color.  This might also occur in the nasal tip.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Radiesse injections in the nose

+1

Radiesse can be used for nasal shaping, but does not strengthen cartilage.  It is safest if injected in the area of the bridge of the nose but I would prefer hyaluronic acid products in the tip and columella because of their rich arterial blood supply.  Injection into an artery with either could cause serious complications, but hyaluronic acid fillers can be reversed with injection of hyaluronidase.  None of these fillers is FDA approved for this purpose.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Radiesse Can Be Safely Injected in the Nose

+1

Radiesse may seem to strengthen the cartilage but it really adds its own structural support the the area in which it is injected. Radiesse is comprised of calcium-based microspheres suspended in a water-based gel so it tends to not migrate from where it is injected. Radiesse is injected below the skin in the plane between the skin and the cartilage. When injected properly there should not be any risk of perforating the cartilage. HA fillers will not provide the same support or last nearly as long.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse in the nose

+1

Radiesse can be injected safely into the nose to fill out minor irregularities, but not to strenghten or support cartilage. It does not have any inherent strenght. It will last approximately a year. The depth of injection is usually in the deep dermal or subcutaneous plane.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon