Should I Have Radiesse Injected into my NLF's Again?

I had Radiesse injected into my NLF's, shortly after, a small white lump appeared inside the right side of my upper lip. It's been six months and the bump is still there, and my nasolabial folds are back. I had all types of HA's inj. into that area in the past, but they only last 3 months max. I'd like to have the Radiesse injected into that area again because it's lasted the longest, but I'm terrified that another bump might appear. Would it be wise to do so with another injector?

Radiesse for the nasolabial folds

+2

Bumps from Radiesse are typically caused by injection technique. Since Radiesse is not reversible, and because this is an art as much as it is a science, it is especially important to remember that the experience and technique of the physician injecting Radiesse is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. I agree that it would be wise to seek the opinion of another injector. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Radiesse injected too superficially can create these bumps, I suggest you seek a knowledgable board certified physician who is very experienced using Radiesse to provide a lasting result.

Bump from Radiesse in NLF

+1

I would try finding a physician in your area who is extremely familiar with Radiesse and injects it on a daily basis. Radiesse needs to be injected with specific techniques, with knowledge of the vasculature and anatomy of the area. Finding someone who has more experience might eliminate this problem in your future. However, it is absolutely possible that this was a one-in-a-thousand mistake by a qualified doctor. Use your judgement.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Radiesse for nasolabial folds

+1

Radiesse is one of the best fillers for the nasolabial folds because of its stiffness, longevity, and its ability to stimulate your body's own collagen.   You should not have visible lumps or bumps with the treatment so don't let that incident deter you if you liked the results of Radiesse in the past.   The injection of facial fillers in the face is requires an artful eye and an in depth knowledge of facial anatomy. I treat many patients who have had complications from filler injections from unqualified or inexperienced injectors.  Most problems are completely reversible.   The "white lump" if it persists can  be treated by extraction, steroid injection or both. 

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse Works Well For Nasolabial Folds and For Mid face Rejuvenation.

+1

Radiesse, composed of calcium hydroxylapatite, is an excellent, robust volumizing filler particularly suited for use in the cheeks, jawline and, smile lines and marionette lines. It should not be used in in and around the lips nor in very thin skin areas, such as the tear troughs.

In general Radiesse results may last for between a year and two years  in my experience in areas that are subject to less mechanical force movement, e.g. the mid cheeks and and even the jawline. It lasts somewhat less in highly mobile areas, such as the smile and marionette lines.  

Unlike hyaluronic acid injectables, such as Perlane and Juvederm UltraPlus, which can be dissolved if so desired, with the enzyme hyaluronidase, Radiesse cannot be easily removed or dissolved in circumstances where an unsatisfactory result has been obtained. Occasionally, the product may be extruded if a small nick is made in the overlying skin under local. Sometimes, the injection of a a salt solution may help break up the material and allow it to be more easily removed by the body. Other times, although somewhat frustrating to be sure, you simply have to wait until nature eliminates the material on its own.

However the bumpy reaction is ultimately dealt with, either aggressively or via tincture of time, re-treatment should only be performed by a thoroughly trained, board certified injector with an artistic eye. Such an individual may determine, for example, that instead of directly treating the smile lines, your mid face may require treatment--a sophisticated recontouring and reshaping technique that softens the smile lines, while improving the contour of the entire mid cheek. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Radiesse for the nasolabial folds

+1

The bumps which you refer to in your note is usually a result of poor injection technique. Consult with an experienced and expert physician injector to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Radiesse and NLFs

+1

If you weren't happy with your prior injector, then yes, you can see another injector, of course. It's best to take in photos (pre Radiesse) so the injector can see what was done and why, and may be able to alter the technique to avoid this white bump again. Usually the white bump is from a pocket of the Radiesse and the product itself is a whitish in color (similar to bone actually). It's NOT recommended to place Radiesse near the lips, in the lips, or in thinner skin as the whiteness does come through when Radiesse is injected superficially. So, visit an experienced injector and go over your concerns and photos.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Radiesse bump

+1
There is a newer technique, involving a cannula, that is less traumatic to the area. Without a photo or consultation, impossible to speculate as to injector technique, amount of product injected in a given area, etc. Please see an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Best of luck. Dr K

Robert L. Kraft, MD