I Had RADIESSE Injected into my Lips 5 Years Ago- is It Safe to Get a New Filler Now?

I had RADIESSE, and the dr who injected it, swore it was safe and that he used it for years and years- later found out he wasnt suppose to be using for that purpose- I do have slight pain in my lips every now in then- for instance, when I bump something into my lips- i think it's even shown up on an xray- I actually have "osteitis" in my jawbone, and when I got that checked- they notice something wrong with my lips- I freaked out so I avoided the injections-- is it safe to get another filler

Filler choice in the lips

+1

Radiesse is a poor filler choice for the lips. Juvederm or Restylane are both terrific and safe hyaluronic-acid based fillers for the lips. Most importantly, make sure your injecting physician is highly trained and experienced, such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to maximize results and minimize potential problems. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

New Filler after Radiesse

+1

Sorry for your negative experience. You are correct that radiesse is a poor choice in the lips. You should be able to use a more appropriate dermal filler such as restylane (my preference and the filler with FDA approval for lip augmentation) or juvederm. Consult with 2 - 3 experienced and expert physician injectors to understand your options.

Getting a new filler after having Radiesse...

+1

Yes it is safe to try another filler after having Radiesse injected into your lips 5 years ago because the Radiesse really only lasts for about one year.  For the lips, though, it would be more appropriate to try using Juvederm, silicone or fat injections.  Radiesse does have a risk of forming bumps, but since it has been 5 years I don't think you need to worry about it.  Juverderm is safe and lasts about 6-8 months, while silicone, if built up gradually over time, can be permanent.  Make an appointment with a physician skilled in injections, to discuss all of your options.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse is not for the lips

+1

I am very surprised a Dr would inject Radiesse in the lips. Feel free to have another filler OR fat injected into your lips. At this point, the Radiesse should be metabolized enough.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse in Lips 5 Years Ago

+1

It is safe to have fillers placed in your lips 5 years after Radiesse which is no longer present. However rather than Radiesse, use your own fat or fillers like Restylane or Juvederm.

Radiesse

+1

Yes it's perfectly okay, but consider something other than Radiesse as a lip filler.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse will show up in an X-ray while other fillers will not.

+1

This likely surprised your radiologist who probably has never seen that.   Feel free to have another filler. 

Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip filler after Radiesse

+1

Yes, five years later all of the Radiesse is certainly gone so it would be same to have another treatment. Juvederm or Restylane are the best options for correcting an aging lip. They are used to replace lost volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. They can restore the natural contour of the upper and lower lip and enhance the Cupid’s bow area. Lifting the corners of the mouth gives a hint of a smile and reduces the “sad or angry look” when they are down turned. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/juvederm/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Sure, the Radiesse should be long gone 5 years later.  I use Radiesse for facial contouring and shaping of the jaw, cheeks and chin but it must be injected into the fatty tissues... which the lips have none.  Juvederm and Restylane for lip augmentation as well as lip implants using Alloderm or silatic lip implants work the best, IMHO.  Be sure, the MD that does your lip augmentation undertsnads and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty to achieve proportioned, beautiful lips.  

FYI, the Radiesse is calcium based and that's why it shows up on XRAY.  

Web reference: http://www.thepalmercodeinstitute.com

Radiesse Injections for Lips

+1

Radiesse is a great filler for cheeks and jawline.  However, Radiesse should not be injected into the lips.  I would only recommend Juvederm Ultra or Restylane for lip injections.  If you do require filler in your lips, then I would suggest one of these products.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.shaferplasticsurgery.com