Can Radiesse Increase my Chances of Getting Calcium Oxylate Kidney Stones?

I have several small calcium oxylate kidney stones now. I am concerned that the calcium in Radiesse might increase my changes of getting more stones. I would only be getting one tube of the Radiesse in marrionette lines and a little into the nasolabial fold.

Radiesse does not increase the risk of kidney stones

+2

Radiesse is comprised of calcium-based microspheres suspended in a water-based gel. The gel carrier causes immediate correction and is gradually absorbed. The calcium particles act as a scaffold for new collagen formation around the microspheres. This fixes the particles in place discouraging migration. There is therefore no reason to think there is any chance of these calcium particles to enter your blood stream and travel to your kidneys to form kidney stones.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

No

+2

The injection of the Radiesse will not cause systemic calcium absorption. If you are concerned about the result or long term side effect, you can try Juvederm or Restylane.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse and Kidney Stones

+2

As far as I know there have never been any reports of Radiesse associated with kidney stones.  Because you already have kidney stones, you may continue to form them in the future regardless of the Radiesse.  You may want to confer with your internist for another opinion!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Radiesse Cannot Increase The Risk of Kidney Stones

+1

No. Radiesse is made of calcium hydroxylapatite, similar to tooth enamel. Also the amount of calcium contained in Radiesse is too small to cause and such side effect.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

No!

+1

Radiesse is made of calcium hydroxylapatite, similar to tooth enamel.  I have no knowledge of any patients getting kidney stones from this material.  Besides the amount of calcium release in Radiesse is too small to be of harm.

Enjoy,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse Injections Do Not Lead To Calcium Stone Formation

+1

I answered this question 9 days ago when you intially asked the question, but it got posted under a different question, from another individual, about Radiesse. I now have the follow-up I was referring to. So I will discuss that at the bottom.

The answer to your question is “No”. Radiesse will not lead to calcium oxalate stone formation. The calcium in Radiesse is bound to phosphate, as calcium hydroxylapatite. This is the same form of calcium which comprises bone and teeth. Calcium in this form is broken down very slowly, and we typically expect the results of a Radiesse treatment to last 9-12 months. I will provide some additional information to put this into perspective in a follow-up answer, just give me some time to do a bit of research.

Kidney stones affect >10% of the American population. Calcium-oxalate stones account for about 90% of all kidney stones. Calcium-oxalate develops in acid urine (pH less than 6.0).

The majority of calcium-containing kidney stones are associated with unexplained elevated calcium in the urine (hypercalciuria). This may be the result of intestinal hyperabsorption of calcium, impaired reabsorption of calcium in the kidney (Renal leak of calcium), or the increased bone breakdown and the subsequent increase in serum calcium level (resorptive hypercalciuria) seen in hyperparathyroidism.

Oxalate forms an insoluble complex with calcium to develop a calcium oxalate kidney stone. High levels of oxalate in the urine (hyperoxaluria) are even more important to stone formation than high levels of calcium (hypercalciuria). Excessive intake of food containing oxalate leads to calcium-oxalate stones.  There are several specific oxalate-containing foods that significantly increase urinary oxalate, and therefore the potential for calcium-oxalate stone formation. These foods included nuts, tea, chocolate, beets, rhubarb and wheat bran.  It is recommended that people prone to calcium-oxalate stone formation limit their intake of certain very high oxalate-containing foods, and maintain adequate calcium intake. Adequate calcium intake is important because dietary calcium has a protective effect by binding to oxalate in the intestine and preventing its absorption in a form that leads to kidney stones.

Excessive intake of Vitamin C, which is metabolized to oxalate, may also lead to elevated urinary oxalate levels and an increase in stone formation.
Citrate also plays a role in calcium stone formation. Citrate forms a soluble salt with calcium and inhibits the formation of calcium-oxalate and calcium-phosphate crystals. Anything that leads to low levels of urinary citrate (hypocitrauria) increases the chance of developing stones. Chronic diarrhea, renal tubular acidosis (RTA), diets high in protein and salt, and low levels of blood potassium (associated with thiazide diuretics) are all associated with low urinary citrate levels.

Follow-up:
There is about 1422mg of calcium hydroxylapatite in a 1.5cc syringe of Radiesse. Calcium accounts for 39.9% of that (567mg), while phosphate accounts for 56.7%. The recommended daily allowance (RDA) of dietary calcium for an individual 9 years of age or older (male or female) varies between 1000mg – 1300mg. That means that there is about one half of a daily allowance of calcium in the entire 1.5cc syringe of Radiesse; clearly not enough to cause any problems related to stone formation.

Best wishes

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Can Radiesse increase my kidney stones

+1

No, there is not enough calcium released from the product to affect the levels of Calcium in your blood or kidneys

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon