Too Much Radiesse in Lower Cheeks (Male)? (photo)

I had Radiesse injected into my cheeks 6 days ago. The right side has a small bruise and is ‘puffier’ than the left. As well, my lower cheeks and nose-to-mouth area appear MUCH too full. Also, my eyes appear ‘set back’ and the tear trough is more pronounced. My question: Is there a way to off-set this look and improve my appearance? Would placing another filler in other areas (e.g., tear trough, high on cheek bone, etc.) help to create the look I want (see photos below)? Suggestions please!

Too Much Radiesse in Lower Cheeks (Male)?

+1

I don't think there's much you can do about it at this point but I also think it's too early to start layering around what was done.  In general, Radiesse is an excellent treatment for exactly the areas you describe; ie, cheek augmentation.  It needs to be sculpted at the time of injection into the appropriate shape.  At six days, you probably have swelling distorting the appearance and, at any rate, I don't think you can still have it shaped.  I would wait a few weeks and then consider additional fillers as a temporary solution.  And you should, of course, stay in touch with your own plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

+1

I would wait at least a couple of weeks and maybe longer before thinking about any touchups.  Injecting something else before that time when bruising or swelling is present just confuses the issue.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Too Much Radiesse?

+1

Radiesse is an excellent product for non-surgical cheek augmentation/enhancement. As others have said, it should be placed right on top of the bone and gently molded or sculpted at the time of placement by your doctor. After 24 hours, any additional massage will not likely have a significant effect but could cause more swelling.

Achieving the right balance in midface and peri-orbital rejuvenation and cosmetic enhancement is at least as much art as it is science. An overfilled cheekbone area may may the eyes look sunken in. This is particularly true if the under eye area already has a bit of a hollow appearance from volume loss or drooping of the cheek fat pad. The best treatment for this is avoidance... but, if there is a differential between these area, a different kind of filler can be used (such as Restylane) for the "tear trough" region. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
  1. Radiesse in the Malar area should be injected just on the top of your cheek bone and sculpted by your surgeon at the time of the injection. Future massaging of the area should be avoided because that would increase the chance for internal bruising and prolonged swelling after the procedure.
  2. The swelling after the injection is caused by the filler itself and by the trauma of the injection to the surrounding tissue. The more manipulation and lifting of the soft tissue the more swelling will occur.
  3. When Radiesse is injected deep, unrecognized bleeding will manifest itself with delayed bruising and prolonged swelling of the area.
  4. Taking action one week after the injections will be premature.
  5. Discuss this with the doctor who performed the procedure.
  6. If bleeding is the source of the swelling early use Arnica Montana will decrease the discomfort and help with the swelling.
  7. It is too early to judge the final appearance of the area especially if deep bleeding or bruising occurred during the procedure.
  8. Wait at least 2-3 weeks prior deciding whether additional treatment will be needed.

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse in cheeks

+1

Radiesse is a product I use daily because of its excellent duration and high patient satisfaction when injected appropriately.  It certainly does cause some swelling of the soft tissues in areas where it is placed and I would recommend allowing a full two weeks prior to consideration of any additional filler.

I rarely placed Radiesse directly into the nasolabial folds because of the unnatural appearance this creates, rather, I place the product where the patient has lost facial volume which is typically high along the medial and lateral cheek.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too much Radiesse in lower cheek

+1

Radiesse is injected deeper than other fillers and so the underlying bruising and swelling can take longer to settle down. Regardless of what you see on the surface, swelling underneath is still there at only 6 days out. You need to give this time to settle down, at least 2 weeks out, to determine if you need to have more filler added.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Too much Radiesse in lower cheeks?

+1

I would recommend waiting a little longer before considering any other treatments.  At 6 days after your Radiesse injection to your cheeks, there still will be some settling taking place.  I would wait at least another week or two and then see how your appearance is.  At that point, it may be possible to use additional filler to help.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse to cheeks

+1

By adding volume and fullness to the cheeks, it is possible to make the tear troughs look more pronounced. I would advise waiting the full two weeks for swelling to decrease and bruising to minimize, then return to the Dr who injected you. Best of luck.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS