Radiesse in Cheeks 5+ Years?

I had 1 syringe of radiesse (split 50/50 each side) to enhance my cheekbones and went back 6 months later for another syringe. I want it to go down, but it has been 5 years. I'm beginning to think it is something else in there, even though I did see the radiesse boxes. Would an ultrasound of my cheek area help determine why they are still puffy? Any recommendations to make it go down? Any new news on longer lasting results in patients? I'm only 10 lbs heavier than 5 years ago. I'm very active

Could Radiesse still be in my cheeks after 5 years?

+3

It is highly unlikely that there would be any Radiesse left after 5 years.  Radiesse has two components.  It is Calcium that can last up to a year or longer and a gel matrix that breaks down in approximately 4 months. An MRI may help but I agree with Dr Maloney that you should first verify the product that was injected.

Radiesse? For ever?

+2

First: Obtain the office note from the Physician/Person who injected the Radiesse to confirm what was done and with what filler. Require that you receive a copy of  the sticker that accompanies the syringe to get the lot # and confirmation of the product.

You can then contact the company to confirm that it is legit.

If an indictable material is causing the findings a MRI may answer your concerns.

Remember there are counterfeits and Black Markets in injectables. Do not shop price. Shop for experience and professionalism. Insist that the MD do the injections personally.   

Richard W. Maloney, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse in cheeks after 5 years

+2

An ultrasound would probably not help because it won't determine exactly what it is, just that something, theoretically, is there. I have seen Radiesse last for a few years, and more often we do see this in areas like the upper cheeks where there isn't as much movement, so fillers do last longer there. Additionally, you said you did one syringe, then went back again for a second 6 months later. This is called layering fillers. What it does is actually make most fillers last longer because the patient doesn't return to baseline, but adds volume to the existing filler that still remains. In some cases the particles are able to bond together better, and the initial filler then lasts longer. My assumption would be this - in the past 5 years you've now lost volume in other parts of your face, like your central cheeks. Because you still have some Radiesse in the upper cheeks, it make them look more pronounced than before, because you now have more volume loss around it. Unfortunately unless there is a significant problem, we don't recommend removing Radiesse, as the only ways to do it are by injecting cortisone (not a great option with minimal results at best) or cutting it out (something you don't want to do). So time is going to be your best bet, unless you want to put additional fillers around the Radiesse to re-voluminze the other areas, making everything appear smoother and more even.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Radiesse after 5 Years

+1

The Radiesse product should be gone after 5 years.  The surrounding areas may need to be filled to bring them up to meet that area.

Radiesse in Cheeks 5+ Years?

+1

I think it's very unlikely that the Radiesse has persisted for five years.  Of course, anything is possible but the components of Radiesse are normally long gone by five years.  You should first try to find out specifically from your doctor exactly what was injected, including copies of any medical records available, and then have a non-invasive diagnostic test, such as an MRI.  Even that may not provide enough specific information but it could be helpful.  In the end, though, you may have to decide if you want to have it removed surgically even without knowing exactly what it is...

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS