Could Radiesse Cause Impetigo or Cellulitis?

Hello, I had radiesse injected into the nasal labial folds on my face about 4 weeks ago. I initially had some bruising and swelling but that went away after a few days and everything was normal.

However now, a month after the procedure I woke up with a red and swollen nose and now the right side of my face under my eye is also swollen. I went to a insta care center and the doctor said it could be impetigo or cellulitis.

I forgot to mention to the doctor that I had radiesse a month ago so now I'm wondering if my issues could be related to the radiesse?

Facial infection emergency!

+2

The description you give implies a potentially very serious infection that requires immediate, if not emergency, treatment.  Get to a board certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon or infectious disease doctor NOW!

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Could Radiesse cause impetigo or cellulitis?

+2

Anytime a sharp object breaks the skin, you could have an infection. A procedure cannot be separated from the likelihood of complications such as bruising (which you had) and infection (which you are having).

Usually, an infection associated with such a procedure is seen within 7 days after the procedure NOT a month later. I am therefore hesitant to call the injection the cause for the infection.

What is clear is that you have a serious infection of the face which should be treated very aggressively. If things do not get better in 24-36 hours you need to return to an ER and may need to be hospitalized for IV antibiotics. Do NOT under estimate this situation.

Dr. P. Aldea

See a Dermatologist or Infectious Disease Specialist

+1

To develop an infection four weeks after a procedure is a long gap. Still, the fact that you have developed an infection in roughly the same area is compelling. Perhaps, the guilty organism is a slow-growing bacteria or a deep fungus.

There is a significant difference in cellulitis and impetigo, so you might be well served to have that diagnosis nailed down. The appropriate antibiotic made hinge on which diagnosis is rendered. May I also toss in the diagnosis of erysipelas, St. Anthony's fire. This is caused by a Group A Strep and is usually easily cured (if treated early). The location you describe is perfect for this condition.

I would recommend that you consult with either a dermatologist or an infectious disease specialist. The area should be cultured so you can be placed on the correct antibiotic. f there is any Radiesse left this should be cultured also. I am assuming the physician at the Instant Care facility placed you on one. I agree with Dr. Aldea that you should not delay treatment if your condition worsens.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Radiesse and subsequent facial infection

+1

Which came first the chicken or the egg? The Radiesse could bave caused the infection by introducing bacteria at the time of the injection and spread to the nose and eye. OR the infection in the nose or sinus could have spread to the Radiesse. A prolonged course of antibiotics should treat this.