Are Radiesse and Other Fillers Safer Than Synthetic Implants Being Put into the Nose?

I am Asian and have quite a flat and round nose. I have been getting fillers such as radiesse, Perlane and Juvaderm injected into the tip and bridge of my nose for the past few years but am looking to get something more permanent such a a gore-tex implant being put into my nose. How safe and how permanent is gore-tex? Would it be safer to keep getting fillers injected every few months?

Would not use implant for rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to say whether fillers or an implant is safer; they both carry an inherent risk. Fortunately, it sounds like you have had some success with fillers in your nose. The problem is that if a complication does occur, it can be devastating. The nasal skin is very unforgiving. Implants, on the other hand, carry a risk of infection and extrusion. I prefer the use of a patient's own cartilage. Asian patients typically need more grafting material, and while ear cartilage is often sufficient, costal (rib) cartilage is needed at times as well.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Role of Fillers in Rhinoplasty - 5 key elements you need to know

+1

Fillers have a defined role in Rhinoplasty -

1.  They are good temporary options in the management of small contour deformities in the revision rhinoplasty patients

2. They are a great temporay  option for a patient to see what dorsal augmentation will look like especially the Asian nose and it lasts for over a year in most cases.

3. I strongly prefer the HA fillers like Restylane or Juvederm as they are reversible and will not cause long term extrusion problems like Radiesse or other particulate fillers.

4. I have found that the HA fillers last up to 2 years on the dorsum and over 1 year in the nasal tip area which is dramatically better than I anticipated!

5.  Autologous grafts from the septum, ear or rib are still the gold standards for dorsal augmentation or revision rhinoplasty to optimal long term results.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Synthetic Nasal Implants

+1

I always prefer to use the patient's own cartilage in augmentation rhinoplasty in Asians and other ethnic groups.  Although you've had satisfactory results with fillers, there are obvious avantages to a permanent solution in a young person like yourself.

Rhinoplasty and implants

+1

I think that if you are looking for a more permanent result than fillers in the nose, you are probably better off with cartilage grafts.

Prefrred augmentation materials, grafts or fillers for Asian nose job rhinoplasty

+1

Your best option for a permanent solution is to use your own cartilage. Ear, nose or cartilage. These options are preferred but do require more surgery. Obviously, patients prefer a filler or implant because they are easier to perform and may eventually dissipate if the results are not desireable. However, fillers have unique complications. Implants may become infected, rotate, erode, or become exposed or extrude.  

+1

There are always risks with implant nasal surgery, whether silicone, gortex = allografts or cartilage, bone = autologous. You must determine which has the better risk/benefit ratio. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Best substance for augmenting the Asian nose.

+1

I have used and prefer septal or ear cartilage for all of my Asian and revision noses. Rib cartilage can be used but is more painful and has not been needed.

Best Option for Augmentation of Asian Nose

+1

Hi Sing,

Your best option is to find a rhinoplasty surgeon expert in the use of rib cartilage.  It will be your best and longest lasting option.  In the US, Dean Toriumi (Chicago), Jay Calvert MD (Beverly Hills), and/or Jack Gunter (Dallas) are your best options.  Silicone and Gore-Tex implants can be prone to infection and extrusion.  Be careful with the injectables as they too can cause severe complications. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD