Can I Get Ultherapy If I Had Radiesse Injected 6 Months Ago?

Can I get ultherapy w/radiesse put in Mar.? What happens if ultherapy does go over an area with filler? Filler was only done once, around cheek and nasal labia.

Can Ultherapy affect Radiesse or other fillers?

+1

This is being currently investigated.  In medicine, clinical testing aims to avoid bias and not to assume conclusions, but it is doubtful that the ultrasound energy would interfere with the filler to create a problem with the filler such as granulomas, or other changes in the contour of the filler's effect.  The big question to answer is if the energy would cause the filler to metabolize quickly and diminish the longevity of the filler.  This would create a possible costly consequence of cosmetic treatment in the patient and they would deserve to know in advance of having Ulthera after a filler.  Fortuantely, most fillers are done in areas that are not treated with Ulthera, such as the vermillion lips, smile folds and chin and prejowl sulcus.  However if fillers are placed in tear troughs, mid cheek for volume augmentation, it is possible that Ultherapy done to those sites after the fillers could induce a guicker disappearance of the fillers. Realistically, a standard approach seems to be to wait six months after a filler before the ulthera is done over the same area as the filler. Therefore, you would be considered a candidate for treatment by many doctors. There are some who say to wait one year is more practical, but not all fillers last this long on a consistent basis.  I am not aware, though, of any reports that Ulthera has made a filler disappear.

Ultherapy and Filler

+1

It is best not to treat any area that has had prior filler.  The ultrasound will effect the filler and possibly lead to an undesirable effect.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon