Radiesse Injections for Temple Area?

The area around my temple has lost its fat content and my face really sinks in there. it was recommended to me have Radiesse injected there. I am 52 with thin skin. I would like the fullness in my temple area but am concerned about it being lumpy. Have you ever heard of of Radiesse--or any other filler for that matter--being injected in this area around the temples?

Injections for temporal area

+3

I prefer hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Restylane or Juvederm. You are much more likely to have soft smooth results. Radiesse is used frequently, but it is more prone to develop lumps. Sculptra injections are really expensive, you need to have them done several times, and the risk of developing hard permanent nodules is much too high.

Facial fillers to treat temple area hollowing

+2

Loss of facial volume in the face as well as increasing skin laxity are two of the inevitale facts of aging. Hollowing of the temples is a common area that is affected. Depending on the patient, there are many choices for the treatment of this area. These include:

• Juvederm
  • Radiesse
  • Sculptra
  • Fat

For those patients with significant hollowing and require a lot of volume, I prefer fat as it is the most permanent solution. Most patients with significant loss of volume in the face, however don't have that much fat to take from other areas. These patients therefore benefit from Sculptra.

I prefer Radiesse and Juvederm for those patients that require smaller volumes. These fillers, however don't last as long as Fat or Sculptra.

Phillip Chang, MD
Leesburg Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse for Temple Hollowing

+2

The temple area is a common area of fat loss. Loss of fat in this area accentuates the bony structures of the eyes. So treatment should focus on a filler that is permanent. Therefore, I recommend micro fat grafting. The use of very small cannulas, 1.2mm or slightly larger allows for very small particles of fat to be injected. This permits for better infiltration of blood supply to the grafted fat and thus a higher "take rate."

If you don't want to go this route than Radiesse would be your best filler choice. Because it is placed in the deep tissues, close to the bone, it is less likely to leave a lumpy appearance.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse for the temple area

+2

Radiesse is a good choice for filling in the missing volume for the temple area. If injected in a deep plane and massaged immediately afterward for uniform placement, the risk of developing lumps is much reduced.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Radiesse to the temples and upper face - Los Angeles

+1

Radiesse is a very good filler for the temple areas to minimize the skeletonization of the upper face.  An excellent choice that can be performed safely and for longterm results. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Radiesse can be used for Temple area

+1

As others have mentioned temporal hollowing is common and can be treated with many different fillers. In my experience, Radiesse gives a good result when injected deeply just over the bone and should not cause lumps if contoured appropriately. The other option you have in this area that may be better for you to avoid repeat injections is autologous fat grafting. It is a more permanent solution using your own fat cells harvested from another part of the body so it is not a "foreign material" and gives you natural lasting results.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Sculptra would be my perferred treatment for the temple areas

+1

Radiesse is a great option for treating temple hollowing.  However, most of my patients prefer Sculptra for this condition because the effects of Sculptra can last up to 2 or more years and that it is a more natural product.

I hope I was helpful.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

Temple augmentation

+1

This product is used by many physicians for this reason and makes a significant transformation quickly in some patients. Make sure you discuss the advantages and the risks of the procedure with your physician.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fillers for Temples

+1

The likely costs of using Juvederm and other hyaluronic acid fillers for the temples may be prohibitive considering the volume and short duration of the improvement. Radiesse may last 9-15 months and is quite good, but again multiple procedures over time would be necessary. Sculptra is expensive and requires multiple treatments, although it does last several years. The most permanent would be fat transfer, preferable microfat grafting. Be sure to see a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon with fat grafting experience.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Uses of Fillers

+1

Radiesse is a good filler when used properly.  But to build up an area and to get volume I prefer Sculptra eventhough it requires several injections.  I feel the results are longer lasting though with the use of Sculptra.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD