Radiesse Used to Fill Mouth Folds - No Results

I had radiesse to fill a fold at the side of my mouth. They said the results would disappear in 2 wks but reappear, with my own collagen, in 6 months. I waited 3 mths and they put in another 1/2 cc. And they told me to wait the full 6 mths.

I waited and still that fold was "unfilled". I got no results from the treatment other than the initial swelling, which made it look like the fold was filled. Had the same problem with Juvederm. I'm Caucasian, not thinned skinned. Why doesn't this work?

Why Didn't My Radiesse Work?

+2

Radiesse is generally very successful for filling in lines by the nose and mouth- nasolabial folds and marionette lines. Reasons for poor results may include insufficient product, placing the product too deep or in the wrong location, or attempting to use products to solve problems that really need to be addressed by surgery. It's difficult to give you a more specific solution. Most of the product should be gone in 6 months, although it can last longer.

I would suggest that you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can delineate what changes can be effected by fillers, and what changes truly require surgery.

Radiesse in folds

+2

Dear Blonde, I'm not sure who was trying to explain what to you about the timing of your results but maybe there was some confusion involved.  That being said, you probably did have initial swelling that made creases look full only to be gone when swelling went down. The creases at the corners of the mouth can be very challenging in some people and even skilled injectors can have trouble with this area. I would love to see a photo, if you can send one, to see whether you appear to be one of the more difficult to fill. I would probably give this another chance at some time with a different doctor. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

The No Result Injectable Filler...Something's Fishy

+2

Hi Blondie,

Sorry to hear about your lack of response to "Radiesse" injections.  Either you are being injected with a very watered down, diluted product, or it is not Radiesse.  If Radiesse is injected properly at the corners of the mouth, it should not disapper in 2 weeks.  Though Radiesse is considered a biological stimulating injectable, it is present after injection for 1 to 1 1/2 years.  Sculptra injections behave like your description, but it is not recommended to have Sculptra injected near the corner or your mouth.  At any rate, I would advise you to choose your next injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD

That doesn't sound like Radiesse as Radiesse results don't disappear

+2

With Radiesse you see immediate results plus you get collagen deposition as the Radiesse is reabsorbed. 

With the first injection of Sculptra you may get the initial swelling then it subsides after a few days, and results are not seen until a month after the second treatment, which takes place between 4 and 6 weeks after the first.

So it's not clear what was injected or whether the person explaining the procedure to you knew what they were talking about.  Consult with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with training and experience in filler injections.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse for Mouth Folds

+2

It sounds to me as if your Radiesse injections (as well as your Juvederm injections) were not done properly. Radiesse is comprised of calcium-based microspheres suspended in a water-based gel. The gel carrier causes immediate correction and is gradually absorbed over many months. The calcium particles then act as a scaffold for new collagen formation around the microspheres. This fixes the particles in place discouraging migration. Radiesse reportedly lasts 12 to 15 months. A booster injection 3 months after the initial injection will usually prolong the duration of Radiesse for 15 to 18 months. It looks like you should find a different, experienced physician to inject you. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for Radiesse. You will know they have lots of experience as they train other physicians how to inject.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Why Fillers Don't Work For Some Injectors?

+2

Facial aging is much more complex than just filling in the lines.  The top reasons facial fillers are not effective are the following:

• Poor understanding of facial aging by the injector--  Most often the face does not age in just one location on the face, but does so throughout the face. By not treating the aging process in a wholistic process, patients are left with either an undertreated or overtreated (too much in one area in relation to the other area) appearance
  • Ineffective Technique-  Even though injection of facial filler seems like a straightforward procedure, placement of filler in the wrong location with the wrong amount will lead to facial disharmony which can create fullness in the face (polar bear or bull dog appearance) rather than a visual stunning appearance
  • Wrong type of filler-  Using the wrong type of filler for you can lead to less than ideal results

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Results after Fillers

+2

There should be good results after the injection of fillers and the results should last several months. I'm not sure why you're not getting results that don't persist beyond the immediate inflammation that occurs after injection. The most likely cause would be that the filler is being placed too deeply. The best option is to see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon with a lot of experience in fillers and let him/her examine the area and consider having that person perform a treatment.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Not sure where you went

+2

I don;t know where you had this procedure done but everything about their explanation and the lack of results seem very fishy to me-

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse

+2

i am not sure of the truthfulness of the scientific explanation they gave you?????

With Radiesse  you should see the results immediately. as for your collagen replacing it?????????

Find another DOCTOR, certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to do the injection and give grounded scientific explanations.

No results from Radiesse and Juvederm

+1

Some folds are more a consequence of the cheek fat and skin hanging lower and over the smile crease. The best treatment in this case is to perform volume augmentation of the cheeks which may support the lower cheek unit better.  This may minimize the disparity between the smile fold depth and the skin elevation hanging above it and adjacent to it.

Ronald Shelton, MD