Can Radiesse Be Cut (Diluted) with Something else Before Injecting, or is It Straight from the Tube?

I know Botox can be mixed at different ratios, and I'm wondering if it is the same with fillers, specifically Radiesse.

Diluting Radiesse for Facial Rejuvenation

+3

Yes, I routinely mix Radiesse with lidocaine when injecting the cheeks and midface to achieve a non-surgical midface lift.  This makes injection more comfortable.  Keep in mind, since the lidocaine gets resorbed, the initial result is not the final result.  So the more Radiesse is diluted, the more volume will be lost when the lidocaine goes away.

Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

+3

Yes as it turns out Radiesse is mixed with a small amount of 2% plain lidocaine to make the injections better tolerated.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Cutting Fillers

+3

The only thing that can be done to fillers is to use a special medical instrument that takes some of the filler (at full strength) and solution from a vial of lidocaine putting both together in a new sterile syringe. I would say that this is very rarely used or done, as most manufacturers for fillers now make different sizes of each type of syringe so procedures can be more custom now. The purpose of doing this with the fillers though isn't to "cut" the fillers, it's to add lidocaine, a numbing agent, into them for patient comfort. Additionally, most manufacturers now make fillers with a compounded lidocaine already in them, so this isn't necessary either. Thus, to answer your question, no fillers are not "cut" like Botox so you can only get full strength fillers, but there are different sized syringes! 

Radiesse and Dilution

+3

Radiesse can be mixed with a very small amount of 1% Lidocaine (0.1 mL) for local anesthetic purposes; it is not diluted in the same fashion as Botox.  Radiesse is typically administered in 1.5 mL pre-filled syringes which are single use, single patient treatment vials whereas Botox can be used as a 100 unit multi-use vial.

Web reference: http://www.drprendiville.com/facelift.html

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lidocaine has been a big plus for Radiesse

+2

Great question.  I have been using Radiesse for several years.  It used to be injected without mixing it with anything else.  Even when we would do dental blocks there could be some discomfort using Radiesse.  Now that we mix it with Lidocaine it has made it so much more comfortable for the patient and easier to use for the doctor.

Good Luck

Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse dilution

+2

I commonly mix Radiesse with a small amount of Lidocaine to help the pain during the procedure.  Not aware of any other reason why this would be done.

Radiesse Pre-mixed with Lidocaine

+2

Radiesse is often pre-mixed with lidocaine prior to injection to help minimize discomfort. Unlike some of the hyaluronic acid fillers, Radiesse is not made with lidocaine built in. 

Radiesse

+2

It would be unusual to dilute fillers.  Lidocaine (numbing anesthetic) is commonly mixed into Radiesse to make the injection more comfortable for patients, but is not used to dilute it down for the purpose of sharing the filler with other patients.  In my practice, I don't share syringes of fillers amongst patients.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/procedures2/fillers

Radiesse Can Be Diluted With Lidocaine

+2

Radiesse can be mixed with lidocaine prior to injection.  This gives the benefit:

• Allowing numbing to injected area for better comfort
  • Thinning out the filler for better sculpting and placement control

Many other fillers, Restylane  and Juvederm for example, come premixed with Lidocaine.

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Diluting radiesse to make it more fluid or reduce pain

+1

Radiesse can be mixed with typically a small amount of lidocaine (anesthetic) for a smoother injection flow and to reduce pain. I have routinely done this with great success.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon