Does Radiesse Cause Serious Diseases Such As Cancer?

I don't have much nose bridge and also my nose tip is not pointy enough. So, I'm planning to take Radiesse to build the bridge of my nose and for the nose tip too. Is Radiesse completely safe?

+2

Radiesse is an FDA-approved filler material. With that said, injection into the nose is an off-label indication. This means that the initial FDA studies did not evaluate injection into the nose. The filler material itself is safe. However, make sure that you seek an experienced injector as Radiesse injection into the nose has been known in rare cases to cause loss of some overlying skin. This is not an injection that you want an amateur to perform for you. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse injections to the nose - Los Angeles

+1

Radiesse and Juvederm are excellent options for the nose.  Radiesse is a stimulatory filler and should be performed in collagen stimulation is desired. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

+1

Radiesse has not been linked to cancer of any sort.  You should find a rhinoplasty surgeon to determine if filler to the nose should even be considered.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

I am unaware of cancer or any other medical disease being related to or resulting from Radiesse injections.  There are, of course, specific issues related to the physical injection of a volume enhancer and those can come into play when you're considering building up the bridge of the nose and the tip.  You should, therefore, discuss this with your PS, who can examine you in person and assess the quality of your skin (thick, thin, etc) as well as make recommendations for treatment options.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

+1

Radiesse is not known to cause serious diseases or cancer.  It is an FDA-approved filler material, and is made up of calcium hydroxyapetite which is very similar to a constituent found in bone.  Injecting Radiesse into the nose is an off-label indication.  If you've never had any filler injections, you may want to consider a hyaluronic acid filler, which, if you do not like the results, can be dissolved with an enzyme, hyaluronidase.  I suggest you seek out an experienced injector and discuss these different options.

(This answer is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for medical advice.  It is posted for patients’ general education only.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider for further evaluation of your individual case.)

Mireille Chae, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Radiesse and Cancer

+1

Radiesse, was formerly called Radience. Under neither name has it been implicated to cause cancer. Radiesse is a voluminizer and consists of small, smooth microspheres of hydroxylapatite suspended in a sugar gel. . The body resorbs the sugar and leaves hydroxylapatite particles which are felt to produce collagen. 

Hydroxylapatite is very similar to one of the constituents of bone and thus, is essentially a substance found in our body.

The problem with using Radiesse on the nose, is not due to any fear of carcinogenesis, but fear that it will linger if you are not happy with the result. Unlike HA fillers, hydroxylapatite is not broken down by the body's enzyme system. Thus there is not the hyaluronidase eraser as there is for other products. 

Hopefully, your physician is skilled in reconstructing your nose.

Good luck

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Diseases Caused by Radiesse

+1

There have been not reported cases of cancer from Radiesse that I am aware of at this time.  It can be a very powerful product and when placed in the nose it must be done in a very precise fashion.  I think Juviderm Ultra-Plus can give as good as results and is alot more forgiving.  If Radiesse is used it can be done in small amounts over a short period of time.

Thomas P. McHugh, MD

Radiesse to Nose

+1

Radiesse is a great filler however, if you have never had a filler done in your nose, I would highly recommend getting a hyaluronic acid such as Restylane, Juvederm, or Perlane injected first. 

Dr. Grant Stevens              Marina Plastic Surgery Associates           Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Safety of Radiesse injections

+1

Radiesse works by stimulating your own collagen to volumize tissue in a gradual, progressive, and predictable manner. Radiesse is comprised of calcium-based microspheres suspended in a water-based gel. Calcium is the same mineral found in our bones and teeth. The calcium particles act as a scaffold for new collagen formation around the microspheres. As this is a "natural" product, there have been no reports of serious diseases from Radiesse injections.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Radiesse cause cancer

+1

Radiesse would not be approved for use by the FDA if it caused cancer. It is made of a substance very similar to bone. Although injecting it into the bridge of the nose would be considered "off-label", it doesn't cause cancer no matter where it's injected. Make certain you see a very experienced physician injector as there's no way to remove Radiesse if you don't like it - only time will take it away!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD