Can Radiesse Be Used on Areas Other Than Face/hands? (photo)

My doctor has recommended Radiesse on my thigh. I have a depressed area that developed when I was a teenager that has gotten worse with age. Haven't seen anything out here regarding using this on an area other than face/hands. Does anyone have any experience using it elsewhere and if so, what have the typical results been like?

Radiesse injection in the thigh

+2

You would need a lot of Radiesse to correct deformities or soft tissue in this area and I recommend autologous fat transfer as it is more likely to be durable and less expensive and longer lasting.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Radiesse vs. Fat grafting to the thighs - Los Angeles

+1

I agree with Dr. Hratch Karamanoukian that autologous fat grafting may prove superior to the Radiesse in this area. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Yes Radiesse can be used in other areas than the face or hands

+1

It is considered off-label, but can be used to fill in small indentations. Depending on the size to fill, you might need a lot. Also bear in mind it probably wont last over a year. Another option might be to transfer some of your own fat cells there.  

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal or soft tissue fillers

+1

Yes it is a dermal or soft tissue filler so it can be injected as an off label use. You are better off with fat injections in that area.

good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse could work

+1

Radiesse can be used on any area of your body.  However, the concern with this area is that a large amount of Radiesse will be necessary and this will be only temporary.  A better procedure may be fat grafting as this can be permanent if the fat survives.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse for Thigh Defect?

+1

Fat grafting to a thigh defect allows for full volume correction, while giving a more natural texture to an area that should contain fat.

Can Radiesse be used in other areas besides the hands and face?

+1

Yes, Radiesse is used in several other places in the body for a variety of medical purposes. Some of these may be considered "off Label" but if done by knowledable, experienced physicians you can have very nice results

Sam Naficy, MD

Radiesse Combined With Subcision Can Work Well For Dimples and Depressions On The Thighs And Buttocks

+1

For more than a decade, I have been treating dimples and depressions due to fat atrophy or cellulite on the buttocks and thighs with a combination of subcision followed by the injection of Radiesse or Radiesse combined with Perlane L. The results have been generally quite gratifying.

Subcision consists of inserting a sterile needle with a cutting edge (under local anesthesia) down to the level of the fibrous bands in an effort to break them up and free the overlying skin. Generally about four treatments, at monthly intervals is necessary for maximal effect.

For some individuals, subcision alone provides sufficient improvement to warrant no further treatment. When additional benefit is desired, in my Upper East Side NY practice, I find that injecting a collagen-stimulatory, volumizing filler, such as Radiesse, to be quite effective in raising and smoothing the dimple depression. Following a series of subcision sessions, the overlying skin has usually been freed from the underlying bands sufficiently to respond well to such treatment, hence the timing at the end of a subcision series.

In Israel where I also have an office and a great many more robust volumizing agents are available, I often combine the use of Radiesse with Restylane SubQ, Juvederm Voluma, or Stylage XXL to obtain even greater lift and durability of response.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Use of Radiesse Off The Face

+1

While Radiesse is FDA-approved for use on the face, it theoretically can be used off of the face (which would be considered an off-label use). It is possible to use Radiesse for a depressed area on the thigh, but it really depends on the location and the nature and severity of the depression.  To really answer this question, an in-office consultation is necessary to evaluate the area.  

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Radiesse on other areas besides face/hands

+1

Most fillers are FDA approved for one or two areas of the body only. However, many (and most) injectors will use them on areas that aren't FDA approved. The reason is that all products go through a trial which costs millions and millions of dollars, and that will get them one area of approval. Then, physicians will extrapolate those filler uses and try them in other areas, which often do end up working amazingly. But these additional areas may never actually get FDA approval, simply because companies do not want to go through another trial, because ultimately that would lead to the filler costing more for patients and physicians to buy. So the long and short of my answer is that many physician will choose "off-label" usage for fillers. Personally, I've put fillers into the naval area, the breast area, hands, feet, neck. I haven't put it into a thigh, but it would largely depend on the size of your depression. If it's a large depressed area it's going to take a lot of filler to fill it in, and a great deal of expense for you. Which will need to be repeated as the filler wears off.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD