Is Radiesse Approved for Above the Bridge of Nose/between Eyebrows?

After injecting around my mouth and jowl area the ENT then took it upon herself to inject me between the eyebrows, an area which I have had botox injections. She also injected botox in the same area at the same appointment. Have not read any comments regarding this area.

Radiesse is approved for folds on the face

+2

Radiesse is approved for folds on the face, not for use between the eyebrows or above the bridge of the nose. But, it can be used between the brows and around the nose as an off label use.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Off-label use of dermal fillers

+2

Injections in the forehead and glabella are off-lable uses of dermal fillers.  However, injections in these areas when done appropriately can be very effective.  In most cases, I suggest treatment with Botox Cosmetic first and if there is any residual crease or line, using a dermal fillers 2 weeks after the Botox injections.  Proceeding with the injections in this order help make sure that the areas are not over-injected.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Fillers in the area between the eyebrows

+2

It is allowable for a physician to use a product off-label, specifically, a physician may use a product for a purpose that was not specifically approved by the FDA. Companies submit studies to the FDA for approval of their product and can not provide data for every possible indication that physicians realise in the future  will benefit from treatment with that same product or medicine. I would be cautious, though, with using a thick filler such as Radiesse in the glabella as there can be an interference with blood flow to the forehead resulting in a large scab and eventual scar. The hyaluronic acids such as Restylane or Juvederm are better suited for this area. Just slightly below the area, however, the bridge of the nose has been treated with Radiesse to smoothen the angle of the profile of the nose, but here too, one must be very cautious for possibly the same reason.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Radiesse Use in Glabella is "Off Label" Use, Not FDA Approved

+1

Hi Not a...,

Radiesse is not FDA approved for injection in the glabellar area, but is used off label in many places.  I would recommend other fillers in the glabella since injections in this area need to be superficial to avoid the blood vessels that could cause significant complications.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Off-label injections are very common

+1

Injectable dermal fillers are only FDA approved for treatment of facial lines and folds such as nasolabial folds. Facial lines and folds, however, are other than the nasolabial folds and it is within the standard of care to inject in other areas. Did you know that Botox is only FDA approved for frown lines and not crow's feet ? And that no filler is FDA approved for the lips? But it is common practice to inject in these areas and it is both ethical and legal. It is always best to discuss these concerns with your presonal physician.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist