Radiesse After Cheek Implant Removal Due to Infection

Dear doctors, 6 weeks ago I had cheek implants and I got them removed this week due to infection. I dont want to go through surgery again thus I am thinking about filling the cheek area with radiesse. How long do I have to wait to get this done? As the implants looked like my own bone I am wondering if Radiesse will give me that look as well? Is that possible? Thank you very much

Radiesse for cheekbone improvement

+3

Radiesse works very well for improving the shape and outline of the cheekbone.  Radiesse is made of calcium hydroxylapatite, same material as bone, and it is deposited on the periosteum, the lining right above the bone.

Radiesse is injected along the cheekbone. 

The only restriction is to make sure that the infection is completely resolved and to make sure the bone underneath the infected area has not been affected by the infection (osteomyelitis). You may benefit from a consultation with an infectious disease specialist.

Once you have clearance that the infection is completely resolved, I would probably give it another 3-4 weeks, just as a precaution and proceed with the injections.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheeck implant

+3

Cheech implant infection require aggressive treatment. There is no available data that can tell you when you can have radiesse.

How ever it should be looked at as reimplantation after implant infection any where in the body.

Wait 6 months before you do anything

Radiesse after cheek implant removed due to infection

+2

I would be very careful with any injections following removal of an implant due to infection.

First of all you have to make sure that the infection has completely   subsided.

Second, you have to wait and see how the healing takes place and if any deep scarring  develops.

There are no guidelines in the litterature as to how long you should wait, but I would wait at least 3 months..

Radiesse is an excellent filler and it should be the right choice in your case.

However, if there is deep scarring from the previous procedure and the infection, you may need a subcision procedure before the Radiesse injection.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Radiesse After an Infected Cheek Implant

+2

There is no data to say exactly how long you should wait to get Radiesse injections after an infected implant is removed. Obviously you have to be careful because injection of any foreign material can increase your risk of infection so you will have to make sure the infection is completely resolved. Six months seems like a reasonable time period to wait. I believe that longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse have many advantages over implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Also, as your face ages it changes over the years, touch up treatments are constantly being modified to fit the changing face. If it is done carefully by an experienced physician, Radiesse can give you the exact look you want.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse in area of prior implant infection

+1

You might be more at risk, indefinitely, of another infection if anything is placed in the pocket that had been infected. Biofilms encapsulate bacteria and these can get reactivated later in life. It may be hard for antibiotics to get to the whole cavity in which the implant resided, and as new collagen forms as a response to healing, these fibers may create further obstacles that prevent the antibiotics from getting to the needed area. At lease your implant could be removed, but if the Radiesse becomes infected, it would stay in your face for the 1+ year it takes to dissolve, possibly holding on to some of the bacteria and requiring months of antibiotic therapy. If a culture was done when the implant was removed and a certain bacteria was found to be the culprit, then if you eventually, six months or more, have a filler placed in the area, then possibly the physician can evaluate the possibility of giving you this antibiotic even before the filler is injected. There are risks with taking antibiotics so make sure you discuss this with your physician.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Radiesse After Removal Of Infected Cheek Implants

+1

I would definitely not recommend injection of Radiesse at this time.  Placing a filler into a recently infected site, with the associated inflammation of surgery and infection is asking for trouble.  I would wait a minimum of 6 months before proceeding.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Augmentation using Fillers

+1

There are no absolute guidelines as to how long to wait after the infection has resolved, three months is probably adequate. Radiesse is not very cohesive. that is it spreads easily through the tissues. A great demonstration of this is when we inject it into the back of the hand. The Radiesse is placed in one spot and massaged easily all across the back of the hand. When placed in the cheek, where the muscles of eating and speaking are working the fatty tissues of the cheek around, 4-6 months seems to be an average effect in my experience with Radiesse. For this reason I prefer a filler that is more cohesive, the property of a filler that resists being dispersed. The more concentrated hyaluronic acid fillers are such a filler, and for most patients will provide an effect for 9-12 months.

I personally do not like polymethylmethacrylate beads or micro droplet silicone. I feel these are too unstable and have seen issues with lumpiness and granulomas. You could also consider fat transfer.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse works well for cheek augmentation

+1

Radiesse works very well for cheek augmentation and once your tissues are healed from the implant infection ( a month or two), you should be able to have your cheeks shaped with Radiesse injections. I use Cheek Implants, Radiesse and Perlane to shape the cheeks frequently and while fillers like Radiesse and Perlane do a great job, they will not give as much definition and shape to the cheeks as a cheek implant.  The fillers are however, a very good second option.

I typically use a 1.5cc syringe of Radiesse, on each cheek, to create a more defined shape and then patients fly back for re-treatments at about 1 year intervals.