Radiesse Still I Nose After 5 Years. Safe to Remove During Rhinoplasty?

Hi , i had a radiess injection about 5 years ago , it seems like the material is still inside until now , i consulted a platic surgeon in chicago and he said it might be the radiess , scarring tissue or collagen that had replaced the filler . I'm planning to have a real rhinoplasty around christmas , i want to know if it's safe to surgically remove these fillers ? what are the risks and what's the reason of it lasting so many years ? I heard it usually dissolved within 2 years or so . thanks !

Radiesse in Nose and Rhinoplasty

+1

It is unlikely that the Radiesse injected in your nose is still present after 5 years. There may be some scar tissue in the area but it should not be extensive. Radiesse is typically injected in the deep dermis and the planes of dissection in a rhinoplasty are deeper. There shouldn't be any problem with contouring the bony-cartilagenous structure of your nose and the skin and soft tissue envelope can then be thinned from the undersurface carefully to remove any scar tissue. 

New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery after nasal injection of Radiesse

+1

At 5 years from injection of Radiesse, it is either incorporated into the tissues or has stimulated the body to make its own collagen (support tissue). I have seen both. Operating on this is no different than operating on a nose that has scar from an injury or previous surgery. Even if there is calcium hydroxyapatite (the basic structure of Radiesse), it can be cut, carved and moulded like the rest of the tissue. By paying attention to the blood supply of the nasal tissue, I have never had a problem with someone with Radiesse present.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse in nose

+1

I doubt that readiesse is still present in the nose after 5 years. If this truly is the case, and you try to remove it, it may cause skin problems.   More likely you have scar tissue that is left in the area if anything.

Radiesse and Rhinoplasty

+1

A Rhinoplasty can be safely done with Radiesse present.  It is unlikely that any Radiesse will be left after 5 years.  The Radiesse is most likely replaced with scar tissue at this point.  The scar tissue will have to be dealt with with excision or augmentation depending on one's desired outcome.  If Radiesse is present during a Rhinoplasty, part of it can be removed if it isn't too close to the skin.

David Alessi, MD

Radiesse is not likely to be present 5 years after injection

+1

It is unlikely that you still have Radiesse in your nose 5 years after injection. More likely, it is soft tissue of some sort which can be scar tissue. A rhinoplasty will contour your nose and if this "area" is not within the skin itself, then the irregularities can be addressed with the procedure.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Radiesse and Rhinoplasty

+1
Radiesse typically dissipates after a few years and you may be seeing some scar tissue that has formed post injection. A rhinoplasty will not remove the radiesse as it is injected in the tissue however the rhinoplasty will help with the aesthetic concerns you have. A photograph would be helpful in assesing your actual problems. However if you do have scar tissue this will be addressed and corrected during your procedure. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Radiesse in the nose

+1

removing Radiesse fro the nose is very difficult and depend on where it was injected in the tissue. If it is in the skin, it can not be removed, if it is attached to the skin , it can not be removed safely.

Deep on top of the bone may be irrigularly removed.

Rhinoplasty may help, but if the Radiesse decides to disolve after the rhinoplasty you will have a deformity.

You case is a proof that semipermanent and permanent fillers should not be injected into the nose the so called non surgical rhinoplasty. Non surgical, attracts patients to those who do not know how to do a surgical rhinoplasty)