If I Had No Results the First Time WIth Radiesse, Should He Charge Me For a Second Round?

I had Radiesse filler in my check bone under eye area,paid $750.00, but it didn't take I was swollen the same day but the day after it was back to my nomal hollow eye area. I went back to the doctor and all he said was you were to hollow you need more filler and it will cost you giving you a discount $700.00. should he charge me again? Was that right what can I do? I paid him for a service which I got no results from.

+1

If more filler is needed to restore volume, the treatment will be more expensive.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Didn't see results, Should you pay for a second treatment?

+1

Each person is different therefore the amount of Dermal filler varies for each patient. Two syringes of Radiesse is 3ml. (a teaspoon is 5 ml)  So it is very likely you need more than 1 syringe. This is not uncommon. Therefore it is customary to pay for each syringe although we typically give a price break on multiple syringes.

Sam Naficy, MD

More Product = More Cost

+1

You simply need more product.  Yes, paying for the product is within industry standards.

Multiple syringes are common when injecting these areas.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

No results after Radiesse

+1

I agree with the other doctors who replied.  You are paying for the doctor's experience and time, and for the expense of the product.  There is no implied warranty that you will be satisfied with the results of your treatment.  I don't think your doctor did anything wrong but if you are not happy with him you can always try a different injector next time.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

How Much Filler and How Expensive?

+1

It is difficult to answer your questions without any photographs or an in-person evaluation.  I can say that often one syringe of filler is not enough even in an area that is only mildly hollowed or sunken in. So it may be very reasonable that you only saw minimal improvement with just one syringe injected in those areas.  It sounds like there may also have been some miscommunication upfront about the process and the costs of syringes/treatments. In my practice, I have a very lengthy discussion with my patients about the process, how many treatments will be needed and the cost per treatment or per service.  I actually don't charge by the syringe, rather by the area(s) being treated. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

More filler needed?

+1

Without photos this is really hard to gauge, but I will say this: one syringe of filler isn't magic. Some people do need multiple syringes and it depends on each person's lines, wrinkles, or area's being filled. With the eye area I like to undercorrect and add more. Especially if we are talking about Radiesse where there is no counter product to get it out if you don't like it or it's filled too much. With respect to the charge, patients need to remember that you are paying for the product and the injector's experience. What you are desiring of course if a good result, but that is NOT what determines the price. So yes, if you need more filler to get to the point of correction that you need, then you'd need to pay to get that. If you simply don't like your injector, then you can always see others for further opinions of what you should do for your specific needs.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Fillers

+1

It seems there is a disconnect in communications with your doctor during the consultation. You need to explain fully what are your expectations. Your doctor should be able to tell you if you expectations are realistic to achieve and how many syringes are needed to achieve that result.

Now as for the expense, yes you are responsible, your doctor buys the filler.

You should also have discussion regarding all other options for correction of a problem and expectations and expenses. you also need to discuss the cost of any revision and who is responsible for the cost of any revisional procedure.

Unfortunately fillers are being over used and patients expectations are very high from fillers.

Dermal Fillers - Radiesse

+1

Dermal fillers come in different volumes.  For instance, Juvederm comes in 1 cc syringes, Radiesse comes in 0.8 and 1.5 cc syringes and Restylane comes in 1 and 2 cc syringes and Belotero come sin 1 cc syringes. A typical treatment with dermal filler can require anywhere from 1 to 9 syringes.  It really depends on the areas being treated, the amount of volume required and the desired results of the patient.  Without seeing you in person or seeing before and after photos, it is impossible to comment specifically on your situation.  However, with just one syringe in the cheeks, It is likely that you will only see minimal effect.  As for charges, dermal fillers are charged per syringe not per "round."  So, if you require more filler to achieve a full effect, it is only fair that you pay for the number of syringes that you need.  Hopefully this was explained to you prior to your treatments.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD