I Had a Radical Abdominoplasty 2 Weeks Ago with 8 Lb of Skin Removed. Now I Am Carrying 40 Lb of Fluid Retention? (photo)

I had a radical abdominoplasty 2 weeks ago with 8 lb of skin removed (I lost 350 lb over 3 years). Now I am carrying 40 lb of fluid retention. My feet, ankles, legs, thighs, abdomen and pubic area are extremely painful due to being stretched to their limit from this fluid. Is this normal and what can I do to reduce this fluid retention? Thank you.

Swelling After Tummy Tuck

+1

Some swelling after an abdominoplasty is not unusual but you describe significant swelling that may be beyond the normal amount.  Obviously without an exam it is difficult to make any specific comments.  Leg elevation and compression hose may be helpful as well as water pills in certain instances.  It is also important that the possibility of a blood clot is not overlooked.  Make sure to discuss this with your doctor if you have not done so already and follow his/her recommendations.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon