Does Radiation of my Neck Disqualify Me from Getting Dental Implants?

I am having radiation treatment can I still have implants?

+2

Before and after surgery I would suggest at least 10 Hyperbaric oxygen therapy treatments. 

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized room. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a well-established treatment for decompression sickness, a hazard of scuba diving. Other conditions treated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy include serious infections, bubbles of air in your blood vessels, and wounds that won't heal as a result of diabetes or radiation injury.

In a hyperbaric oxygen therapy room, the air pressure is raised up to three times higher than normal air pressure. Under these conditions, your lungs can gather up to three times more oxygen than would be possible breathing pure oxygen at normal air pressure.

Your blood carries this oxygen throughout your body, stimulating the release of substances called growth factors and stem cells, which promote healing.

Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist

Radiation and dental implants

+1

Most likely you can still have dental implants.  I had radiation to my lower jaw 3900Gy and I have had a dental implant.  It really depends on a number of factors, especially the dose, type and your age,  Hope this helps

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

I am having radation treatment can I still have implants?

+1

Ideally you should wait about one yr if you can if not ususally 15 session prior to care in a hyperbaric chamber before treatment and 15 or so hyperbaric treatments after implant surgery to decrease breakdown of jaw bone and infection be very careful!!!

Good Luck Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants In a Patient with Radiation

+1

If your Jaw was in the field of radiation and if the amount of radiation is greater than the recommended threshold you may not be a good candidate for dental implants.  This all depends.  You may have the risk of osteoradionecrosis of the jaws.  Seek the advice of a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  There are ways of preventing this from occuring so that you may be a candidate

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon