Was Quoted Same Price for Saline and Cohesive Gels, Why Is That?

I have set up a consult for early July, I called 2 different places and was told it was $7,000 for Saline or Cohesive gels, I said "so same price for either?" they both said yes, I was under the impression Cohesive gel was much more then Saline, im barely an A, very thin (5'5 100lbs) had 2 kids and breastfed both, im thinking gels would be better, id love to be a small D, any thoughts on why they would quote same price?

Saline Breast Implants Are less Expensive

+1

Saline-filled breast implants are less expensive than silicone gel-filled implants.

While it is possible some surgeons might charge the same amount for either type of implant, it is worth checking again with your surgeon; there was probably an error in the quotation.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Price of Breast Implants

+1

While the cost of gel implants is more than saline implants, that is the cost for the actual implant.  The fixed costs of surgery - surgeon fee, anesthesia fee and facility / hospital fee are the same regardless of choice of implant.  So the price difference between the implants really is negligible when considering the total cost of surgery - just a difference of a few hundred dollars.  In our office we charge the same for saline or gel implants because we want the patient to choose their implant and surgery based on what is best for them and not just on cost.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Saline is less expensive

+1

Saline imlpants are less expensive than silicone. You may not have had an accurate quote.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Pricing Varies By Physician

+1

The breast implant and surgical procedure pricing that each physician offers varies. Silicone gel-filled implants are more expensive than saline implants. Subsequently, many physicians price the surgeries accordingly – the full cost for a silicone gel augmentation is more expensive than a saline augmentation. In the description you provided, the surgeon has a greater profit for his saline augmentations.

I would agree that, from an aesthetic standpoint, silicone gel-filled implants are a better option for slender women with thin skin and small breasts. Silicone gel-filled implants will exhibit less wrinkling and rippling in this type of patient who has minimal tissue coverage. Placement of the implant in a sub-pectoral position will also be beneficial for the same reason. You should discuss your sizing desires with your surgeon to see if s/he feels that is appropriate for your body type.

Best wishes, Kenneth Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Pricing for saline and gel implants

+1

The gels cost the doctor more to buy than the salines so we only transfer the cost to the patient with no profit.  Consequently, the saline surgery costs less than the gels.  There are no standards for this and each office will have its own policy.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Same price gels and saline...

+1

Your question certainly is reasonable. Most surgeons will give a price to a patient based on the  implant used, and the facility where the surgery is performed. These fees may vary. Basically the cost of a silicone or cohesive gel implant is twice that compared to a saline implant.These costs vary by surgeon, and the country you are in. Perhaps your surgeon has an all-inclusive fee and just makes up the difference. It is his personal preference.

John E. Sherman, MD