Quite Hard Knock to Nose on a Night out 4 Weeks After Rhino/Septoplasty. Did I Do Damage?

Hi im 4 weeks out from my open rhino/septoplasty, I went out on sat, and a girl who didnt know i had had surgery tweaked the end of my nose hard and later another girls arms were flailing about and she hit me square on the nose quite hard!! i thought nothing more of it after icing it for abit,the next day and still, i am in pain across the bridge and the swelling has got worse again, i spoke to my nurse and she thinks it will be fine but im starting to panic that ive ruined the work done....

Struck in nose after rhinoplasty

+1

While there is always a risk that damage can be done to the bone and cartilage, this usually takes a pretty significant blow. My recommendation is to go get it checked out with your surgeon as soon as possible.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reinsuring post rhinoplasty nose

+1
It is possible to reinjure the nose. To relieve your concerns, see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. In most cases, the fear is much worse than the odds of injury, but it's important to get it checked out.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Rhinoplasty and postop injury

+1

this is not uncommon..  if the nose is straight and breathing hasn t changed  then you are probably fine.

contact your doctor for an exam

Trauma following rhinoplasty

+1

You can certainly re-injure your nose 4 weeks after rhinoplasty.  The degree to which you have caused damage may vary depending on how much work was done during your surgery.  If you simply had rasping of a dorsal hump, then there's very little risk.  However, if there was more intense work such as extensive cartilage or silicone grafting or osteotomies (breaking nasal bones), then you do have a slightly higher risk of dislodging some of the grafts with a severe strike to the nose.  There is usually nothing that needs to be done urgently, if there is no gross deformity.  With further healing, swelling will subside and the true deformity (if any) will present itself.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon