Should I Quit Caffeine Post-surgery Like Alcohol?

I had a breast augmentation 3 days ago. Yesterday I had a MASSIVE headache, and realized it was because of my lack of caffeine (I'm a two cans of Diet Coke a day type girl -- yes, I know it's bad, I'm trying to quit).

I had some DC and it made me feel better, but I'm worried that caffeine post procedure is bad, much like my doc said I could have alcohol in small moderation pre-op, but no booze for two weeks post-op. Should I be worried about having the stimulant?

Caffeine after surgery

+3

Yes, many patients struggle with the no food or drink prior to surgery.  Most of the headaches are probably from the lack of caffiene.  While one can not eat or drink prior to surgery, I do not limit their caffeine intact after surgery. If your doctor does, you should ask the reason for this.

Caffeine after surgery

+2

I do not know of any evidence that caffeine before or after surgery is a problem.  Caffeine withdrawl headaches are brutal and I would not want one of my patients suffering.  As for the "booze", less or none is always better.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Coffee after surgery

+2

There is nothing in the scientific literature that reliably tells us that there is a problem with caffeine. We have plenty of information on nicotine, but in my practice, we do not discourage caffeine. 

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Caffeine Ok after Breast augmentation

+2

As my colleague have stated, it is OK to consume caffeine products after breast augmentation surgery.   So you'll be fine drinking diet coke.   Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Caffeine, Alcohol, Smoking and Surgery

+2

Many people mistakenly regard Pastc surgeons as uncompromising, kill joys, party poopers with a heavy Mormon influence on what adults should or should not consume. That is hardly the case. Plastc surgeons differ in many ways but are commonly noted in fiercely seeking the best possible result, most complication free recovery for their patients. 

Caffein - there's NO clinical reason you could not enjoy coffee, tea, coke ec before or after your surgery. It will not affect your healing. 

NicotInetobacco - Nicotine in your blood stream( smoke, chewing tobacco or gum) will result in a significant and prolonged fall in the skin blood flow resulting in tissue death and healing complications. 

Alcohol - Alcohol is a breathing depressor which interacts with most in medications. It should ot be used as long as you are taking ANY any pain pills. 

So, go ahead and have yourself a Diet Coke.

Caffeine after breast surgery is OK!

+2

2 cans of Diet Coke is not bad at all, so don't be too hard on yourself! Besides that, caffeine has not been shown to have any bad effect after surgery, so even if you don't have headaches from caffeine withdrawal, just enjoy your beverage. Alcohol, can, however, have bad interactions with post-operative narcotics, so avoiding alcohol IS important.

I personally drink 1 cup of coffee and 5 or 6 cans of Diet Mountain Dew a day, and feel neither shaky nor one bit guilty!

Best wishes! Enjoy your Diet Coke!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Caffeine and surgery

+2

Thanks for your question.  I do not worry about breast augmentation patients having caffeine after surgery but you should clarify with your surgeon.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Yes to caffeine after surgery

+2

Here in Seattle we may be more focused on the caffeine issue, but it is not usually detrimental and probably beneficial especially if you are used to coffee. It may even help in some ways.

Richard Baxter, MD

Caffineated in Seattle

+2

People have tried in vain to give caffiene a bad rap, yet it just hasn't been shown to be detrimental to surgical outcomes. If you feel better on caffiene, as most in Seattle seem to, we don't think you need break the habit.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Caffeine after Breast Surgery?

+2

Although your surgeon may have different advice ( always best to check with your own plastic surgeon), the use of caffeine after surgery should not be a problem.

Best wishes for the remainder of the recovery.