Multiple Procedures After Massive Weight Loss

I’m turning 36 and I want a Quick lift, Thigh lift, Breast implants, Buttock lift and Liposuction in various places. I have lost a tremendous amount of weight where toning will not improve my appearance.

I have had a tummy tuck in the past and handled this procedure well. I’m interested in knowing if all of these procedures can be done at the same time.

Separate your procedures and think of safety

+1

The procedures you mention are significant, are on very different parts of the body, and would put you at a significant higher risk of complications.

Post-bariatric procedures require a lot of planning, precise markings and are less straightforward.

Having a rested team is paramount to success. Trying to squeeze as many procedures into one session is counterproductive, and you may end up needing more revisions than if you planned to stage the whole process.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Best to separate into two or three procedures

+1

While it is possible to do all the procedures together at the same time, it is not the safest thing. It would be best to separate them into two or even three different procedures. These are all elective procedures and it would be unwise to risk your safety just to save money by combining the procedures together. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Do it in two stages.

+1

Hi! Massive weight loss patients tend to need extra work, and you don't want to be under anesthesia for many hours.

Also it seldom ends up being really only one operation even if you plan it that way, because touch ups are often needed when removing a lot of skin. If you plan on two stages and need a touch up after the first stage, it can be done at the second stage.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Multiple procedures possible up to a point

+1

As a participant in first season of Extreme Makeover, I witnessed the mega-surgery trend that the show spawned. Certainly, complete makeovers have been rather routine in many other countries, notable Brazil, but careful planning and team apporach is crucial. Most plastic surgeons work as solo practitioners rather than in teams so it is important as to who you go to. I usually spend a number of consultation sessions with the patient to determine what the wish list is and what priorities there are. Once there is an idea as to what will make the patient happy, I can prioritize the order of procedures and determine how much can or should be done together. Some surgeries work against each other due to competing tension or competing incisions (for example a traditional abdominoplasty and a reverse abdominoplasty). Some combinations will increase risk of bleeding or fluid loss.Some will create problems in position. Each patient and each procedure or combination of procedures must be assessed individually. The advantages to combining procedures is reduced total recovery time and possbily reduced cost. The disadvantages have to do with increased risk, some of which are life-threatening. I generally try to limit operating time for elective procedures to 6 hours or so. If you push things too much and you incur a complication, eveyone will be kicking themselves for having taken the extra risk. When in doubt, break up the procedures and have an idea of priority so that the surgeon has an "out" an any point of the procedure to quit and leave things for another day.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

This is an individual surgeons choice.

+1

There is no quick answer here, find your qualified board certified plastic surgeon and ask him or her. The longer the surgery (time wise) the greater the risk of complications, such as pnumonia, infection, would healing problems and the possibility of DVT. So you need to discuss this with your surgeon. Sure, we can operate on you for 10 - 12 hours, but this may not be the wise way to go.

This is cosmetic surgery, you want to minimize the risks, not maximize them.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD