What Questions Should I Ask when Choosing a Dentist for Dental Implants?

I want to make sure my bases are covered.

Questions at ask your dentist about dental implants.

+3

There are many issues you need to get a handle on when choosing an doctor to preform you dental implant treatment.  Some clinics offer both he surgical placement of the implant and restoration of the implant with a crown or bridge under one roof, others refer some of the work out.  These questions relate to both aspects:

1) what type of implants are being used?  Known brands? 

2)  if implant Is rejected who pays for replacement? If crown chips who pays for repair?  For how long after treatment is completed?  If treatment is being referred out which clinic is responsible to deal with rejections?

3) how is temporization handled during healing of the implant?  Will there be an immediate temporary?

4) what is the material the crown is made of?

5) if bone grafting is needed and is rejected who pays for second attempt? If no second attempt what happens?

6) how experienced is the team? Most common complications? 

7) what is the maintenance schedule and cost? 

Problems with dental implant treatment is not common but when it does happen you want to k ow you are being taken care of.  These questions are important to ask to know that  you are comfortable with the final outcome. 

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

+3

This is a great question!

There are two critical components to getting an amazing result with your dental implants.

One-The most important dentist in the whole process is the one who will design and make the final crowns or bridges. Some implant cases have less than great results because not enough planning was done BEFORE the implants were placed. This dentist will make the plan and make sure the implants will sit in the right location to get the best aesthetic result.

Two-The dentist who puts the implants in. Many different types of dentists do this now: Periodontists, oral surgeons, and general dentists. Some cases are very straightforward, some fairly elaborate. Some of these dentists are better at some procedures than others. I use different specialists for different types of cases depending upon what my patients need. Some implant dentists have an accelerated approach, some slower. Both are right in different situations.

So here are a few questions at ask:

Who will build my final crowns (or bridge, or denture...)?

What is the average healing time for this procedure?

How many of these types of cases have you done in the past 12 months?

Can you show me before and after photos of similar cases?

What is the most common complication you have?

How long will it be until I have the final teeth?

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon for Dental Implants

+2

Make sure you thouroghly research who is going to place your dental implants in addition to who is restoring the implants. A board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon has the most training in dental implant placement and dealing with any complications associated with them.  A board certified periodontist is also an adequate alternative.  A board certified OMS has at least 4-6 years of postdoctoral hospital training in surgery as well as hospital priviledges in case any issues arise.  No other specialist has these credentials.  A periodontist has 2-3 yrs of schooling in a dental school depending on their program. They do not have any hospital association and can not treat a patient if those issues arise.  There are periodontists that are very good and experienced at implant placement, but you just have to do your research with your state dental board to make sure there are no issues.  You should ask not only how many implants a doctor places, but also how many are successful.  A good surgeon will not only show you his successes, but also his complications.  If a surgeon tells you he has no complications, the nhe is either lying or doesn't perform surgery.   Ask what rand of implants are used, make sure that they are a Major Brand, not a cut rate cheap implant so the doctor can make a couple extra hundred dollars.  There are hundreds of implant companies now, but only a select few "Major" Brands that back their products.  Discount Implants and Discount Doctors = Discount results. Make sure they are guaranteed, a reputable surgeon will guarantee his work in case of rejection as well. Hope this helps

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

What questions should I ask when choosing a dentist for implants

+2

I would ask the following question:

Who places the implant, general dentist, oral surgeon, periodontist, other

How long is normal healing time

What do I use as a temporary if needed

What type of implant is being placed, what is the warranty,

Have you done similar cases before, do you have any before/after photos

Hope this helps

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Questions when looking for dental implant dentists.

+1

This article will describe exactly the questions you should be asking to qualify your team of dentists for your treatment. (see web reference for the article).

Dr. Kazemi

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon