Am I a Candidate for Ulthera in my Lower Face?

When I look at photos from a year and a half ago, I did not have those tiny little jowls, but I have them now. I would like to know if I look like a candidate for Ulthera for the Jawline. I do have some laxity on my neck, too. Are passes made directly on the throat? (Mine is sensitive.) I do not want to use numbing agents, as I can't stand that strange feeling. Have high tolerance for pain, just don't want to gag. Thanks.

Ulthera helps the Jowls

+6

Ulthera utilizes ultra focused ultrasound energy waves to tighten the smas layer of the skin at both the 3mm and4mm depth. We have performed many in our practice and to date the results have been very encouraging. Approximately 80% of patients see a significant clinical difference- much better than what we were achieving with previous technologies. One big advantage of the Ulthera technology is that there is no downtime- as people go back to work the next day with only minimal to no swelling. We utilize multiple pain reduction techniques including 1) cold air 2) ice 3) topical anesthetic 4) oral analgesics - like Tylenol or stronger medications 5) stronger techniques ,if required or desired by the patient after a thorough consultation. If the patient can have some down time we have found the Pixel laser or fractionated Co2 laser to be of added benefit to the Ulthera treatment. While this technique can help the neck, better define the jaw line, and help the jowls - we do not treat over the thyroid gland -over the central neck. You really need a consultation to give you peace of mind and to answer your questions completely.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Ulthera is useful for the jowls and sagging skin of the neck

+4

Based on your description, you seem like you would be a candidate for Ulthera. Patients who do well with Ultherapy are those with mild to moderate tissue laxity. It works well to tighten the tissues along the jowls and neckline. Generally, younger patients tend to have more robust results. No passes are made over the thyroid cartilage, which is the major cartilage in the throat. There is not much pressure exerted on your neck or throat from the device.

There are various methods to make you comfortable during the treatment. In addition to a mild sedative, some physicians will give you a local anesthetic while others may offer you an oral pain medication and others may offer both. If you don’t want to use a numbing agent, you can have the treatment with an oral pain medication and a sedative. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Dr.Sunder

Sarmela Sunder, MD

You seem like a great Ultherapy candidate

+2
By the description of your concerns, you seem like a great candidate for the Ultherapy treatment. Ultherapy is the only device ever to be given an FDA approval for facial lifting (brow lift). We were chosen to be one of the first facilities in the nation to have the Ultherapy device, and we have been very pleased with the results we can achieve. It's very exciting that we can actually treat jowls and facial laxity without surgery.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Effectiveness of Ulthera in the Lower Face

+2

Your photo suggests that you may be an appropriate candidate and that you would get good results.  The final determination would rest on an exam in person.

Ulthera is best for patients with early signs of aging.  Jowling, submental fat and mild skin laxity respond well to Ulthera treatment.  Should you choose to proceed, I would recommend that you discuss oral sedation if you want to avoid local anesthetic.  We have had several patients that wanted to try the procedure without any pain control measures and in all cases we had to stop the procedure and inject local anesthetic.

The firm central neck structures (hyoid bone and thyroid cartilage) should be avoided.  Ulthera treatment is best for soft tissue.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patient selection for Ulthera

+2

As you know, Ultherapy uses micro-focused ultrasound to precisely stimulate collagen remoldeling in the collagen layers under the skin. While I can't predict your results without seeing you, here are some general guidelines: Since the body's response to the treatment is what determines the results, people who are younger tend to do better. That is because with age and skin thinning there is less collagen to begin with, so patients in their 40's to early 50's are often the best candidates although we have had results from older patients too.

Richard Baxter, MD

Ulthera for jowls

+1

Ulthera works well for early jowling and mild laxity of the skin.  Therefore, you would be a good candidate.  Patients with high pain tolerance, like yourself, tend to do well without numbing agents, particularly after the protocol upgrade that has allowed us to get the same clinical response with less intensity of treatment.

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulthera is a good option for mild to moderate skin laxity

+1

Ulthera is a great option for patient who have mild to moderate skin laxity.  Pain is controlled with meds.  The results seem to be consistent and reproducible from patient to patient.  The procedure take 1.5 hours to perform.  Numbing creams dont work.  We give a combination of oral meds.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Ulthera for Jowls

+1

Yes, you appear to be an excellent candidate for Ulthera.  You have a relatively small amount of jowling which should respond well to Ulthera.  Numbing cream is not effective for Ulthera as the treatment is deeper then the numbing cream can penetrate.  I typically give patients a percocet pill and a toradol pill which controls the pain well.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Excellent option

+1

Ultherapy would be an excellent options skin tightening for younger patients with early skin aging.  We also would often employ a combination approach, e.g. filler/botox, when necessary to optimize overall result.  This would vary from patient to patient.

Chang Son, MD
Fort Lee Dermatologist

No numbing cream done for Ultherapy face and neck lifting

+1

The discomfort felt with Ultherapy is a deep dermal sensation so numbing cream wouldn't help and is not used.  You may be an ideal candidate, young, healthy skin with good elasticity just forming the jowls from slight sagging. The throat itself is not treated but the neck adjacent to the windpipe is. Just tell your doctor not to press  too hard near the area.

Ronald Shelton, MD