Am I a Candidate for Ulthera in my Lower Face?

When I look at photos from a year and a half ago, I did not have those tiny little jowls, but I have them now. I would like to know if I look like a candidate for Ulthera for the Jawline. I do have some laxity on my neck, too. Are passes made directly on the throat? (Mine is sensitive.) I do not want to use numbing agents, as I can't stand that strange feeling. Have high tolerance for pain, just don't want to gag. Thanks.

Ulthera helps the Jowls

Ulthera utilizes ultra focused ultrasound energy waves to tighten the smas layer of the skin at both the 3mm and4mm depth. We have performed many in our practice and to date the results have been very encouraging. Approximately 80% of patients see a significant clinical difference- much better than what we were achieving with previous technologies. One big advantage of the Ulthera technology is that there is no downtime- as people go back to work the next day with only minimal to no swelling. We utilize multiple pain reduction techniques including 1) cold air 2) ice 3) topical anesthetic 4) oral analgesics - like Tylenol or stronger medications 5) stronger techniques ,if required or desired by the patient after a thorough consultation. If the patient can have some down time we have found the Pixel laser or fractionated Co2 laser to be of added benefit to the Ulthera treatment. While this technique can help the neck, better define the jaw line, and help the jowls - we do not treat over the thyroid gland -over the central neck. You really need a consultation to give you peace of mind and to answer your questions completely.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

175 I.U. Willets Road
Roslyn Heights, NY 11507

Ulthera is useful for the jowls and sagging skin of the neck

Based on your description, you seem like you would be a candidate for Ulthera. Patients who do well with Ultherapy are those with mild to moderate tissue laxity. It works well to tighten the tissues along the jowls and neckline. Generally, younger patients tend to have more robust results. No passes are made over the thyroid cartilage, which is the major cartilage in the throat. There is not much pressure exerted on your neck or throat from the device.

There are various methods to make you comfortable during the treatment. In addition to a mild sedative, some physicians will give you a local anesthetic while others may offer you an oral pain medication and others may offer both. If you don’t want to use a numbing agent, you can have the treatment with an oral pain medication and a sedative. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Sarmela Sunder, MD

16311 Ventura Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 91436

You seem like a great Ultherapy candidate

By the description of your concerns, you seem like a great candidate for the Ultherapy treatment. Ultherapy is the only device ever to be given an FDA approval for facial lifting (brow lift). We were chosen to be one of the first facilities in the nation to have the Ultherapy device, and we have been very pleased with the results we can achieve. It's very exciting that we can actually treat jowls and facial laxity without surgery.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

10604 N. Port Washington Rd.
Mequon, WI 53092

Effectiveness of Ulthera in the Lower Face

Your photo suggests that you may be an appropriate candidate and that you would get good results.  The final determination would rest on an exam in person.

Ulthera is best for patients with early signs of aging.  Jowling, submental fat and mild skin laxity respond well to Ulthera treatment.  Should you choose to proceed, I would recommend that you discuss oral sedation if you want to avoid local anesthetic.  We have had several patients that wanted to try the procedure without any pain control measures and in all cases we had to stop the procedure and inject local anesthetic.

The firm central neck structures (hyoid bone and thyroid cartilage) should be avoided.  Ulthera treatment is best for soft tissue.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

7900 International Drive
Bloomington, MN 55425

Patient selection for Ulthera

As you know, Ultherapy uses micro-focused ultrasound to precisely stimulate collagen remoldeling in the collagen layers under the skin. While I can't predict your results without seeing you, here are some general guidelines: Since the body's response to the treatment is what determines the results, people who are younger tend to do better. That is because with age and skin thinning there is less collagen to begin with, so patients in their 40's to early 50's are often the best candidates although we have had results from older patients too.

Richard Baxter, MD

6100 219th St SW
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043

Ultherapy for the Lower Face and Neck

To make a definitive recommendation, I’d have to examine you. However, from what I can see in your photo, you look like an excellent candidate for Ultherapy. You’re concerned about the skin laxity that is causing jowls to emerge along with sagging under the chin and around the neck. Ultherapy will stimulate a lifting and tightening of the skin in those areas to deliver a very natural-looking improvement. I would add that Ultherapy should work especially well for you because you are young and still have plenty of collagen and elastin in your skin to maximize skin retraction.
With regard to a topical anesthetic, we use it with patients who are very sensitive. It sounds like you would be among those who find the treatment highly tolerable, so no topical anesthetic would be required. Additionally, to allay your fears, no passes are made over the throat and thyroid gland.

Hal Michael Bass, MD

11278 Pines Boulevard
Pembroke Pines, FL 33026

Ultherapy for Tightening of Jowls

Hello and thank you for your question!

Ultherapy is great for laxity around the jawline and lower face, as well as the neck. It is done in the upper neck area from the jawline to the adam’s apple area, and we take it down to the collarbone (around the sides of the trachea). It is not done in the lower center of the neck, over the thyroid. You actually don’t have to put numbing cream on, we recommend our patients take oral analgesics (Percocet) and something to relax, such as valium. We only suggest the topical to help with the 1.5 mm transducer, and not everyone needs this. We offer it as an option, if they are feeling discomfort with this part of the treatment. Everyone is different with pain tolerance. We have some people that feel very little and others that are more sensitive. In our practice, we are using the triple depth approach for our patients. We find this to provide the most efficient treatment and superior results by targeting all three layers of tissue. Our extensively trained NP & PA’s customize each treatment for each individual patient. We offer complementary consultations, as well.

Grant Stevens, MD

4644 Lincoln Blvd
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Good candidate for Ultherapy - Williamsville NY

You are a good candidate as you seem to have mild to moderate skin laxity based on a single image. An in person exam obviously would be best to determine candidacy.

Ultherapy is focused high intensity ultrasound using B mode diagnostic imaging to ensure delivery of the ultrasound energy into the predetermined depths of tissue - skin (1.5 mm and 3 mm) and SMAS layer (4.5 mm).

Read the Ultherapy book on the link below.

We have performed Ultherapy since 2011 in hundreds of patients with high satisfaction rates.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

5225 Sheridan Drive
Williamsville, NY 14221

Ulthera for jowls

Ulthera works well for early jowling and mild laxity of the skin.  Therefore, you would be a good candidate.  Patients with high pain tolerance, like yourself, tend to do well without numbing agents, particularly after the protocol upgrade that has allowed us to get the same clinical response with less intensity of treatment.

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

6655 Travis
Houston, TX 77030

Ulthera is a good option for mild to moderate skin laxity

Ulthera is a great option for patient who have mild to moderate skin laxity.  Pain is controlled with meds.  The results seem to be consistent and reproducible from patient to patient.  The procedure take 1.5 hours to perform.  Numbing creams dont work.  We give a combination of oral meds.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

328 East 75th Street
New York, NY 10021