6 Months Post-TT, Skin Still Sagging, and Scar Very Visible. Options?

I have 2 questions. I've had tummy tuck exactly 6 months ago and the scar is really visible. will this scar fade away for good??? the 2nd thing is that my stomach skin is sagging, its not tight to my body, how can i make it tight???

Unhappy with some of the results from a tummy tuck

+1

Without at least some good photographs it is impossible to provide you with accurate and helpful information. Is the scar dark? Is it wide or elevated? Is it too high on your abdomen? It would be helpful to know the answers to these.

At 6 months your scar should be fairly well along in the healing process though it can take up to a year for full maturation. Depending on your problem(s) as questioned above, there are treatments potentially available.

With regard to laxity, is it only in the sitting position or do you note it standing up? This information as well would be helpful.

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. In addition, it may be helpful to obtain a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.

No Such Thing As A Scarless Tummy Tuck...

+1

Unfortunately, it appears that you were under the impression that a tummy tuck scar would completely fade away. Not the case. Once an incision is made and it invades the dermis, a visible scar will form. The scar maturation process can take over a year to complete. At six months, most of my patients have achieved most of the visible scar tissue maturation.

In terms of skin laxity, only a good exam will tell what the cause is. Was there a need for more skin excision? is there a fluid collection under the skin flap? is there residual swealling?

I would recommend a follow up visit with your plastic surgeon to explore the possibilities.

Joseph Ku, MD
Riverside Plastic Surgeon

Scar with tummy tuck

+1

You can try some scar creams (such as kelacote) or silicone sheets to help the scar lighten and soften a little faster.  It can take 1-2 years for it to become lighter and less obvious. If your skin is still lax while you are sitting then that is normal.  If it very lax while standing straight up then I would discuss it with your surgeon as more may be taken off.  Sometimes prolonged swelling can make the stomach appear saggy and that should resolve.  Good luck! 

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

TT Recovery

+1

Without seeing before and after pictures or examining you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  I would recommend posting pictures so we can evaluate your incision and looseness of the scar.  It is very unusual to have to excise additional skin after a tummy tuck procedure.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Revision of Abdominoplasty

+1
Dear Bassem, It is likely that your scar may improve further with time but the skin excess is probably stable at six months post op. It would be valuable to visit this issue with your plastic surgeon to seek his or her pinion about whether a revision could address both of these concerns.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Results 6 months after tummy tuck

+1

I agree with other answers. Your healing is pretty much done. The scar will certainly get lighter, but if it's thick, raised or wide - that's not going to get any better. Also I don't think your skin is going to get any tighter on it's own. Talk to your surgeon or get another opinion. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Scar and extra skin following tummy tuck

+1
Hello, It would be helpful to look at some photos. If your scar is high and there is too much laxity that remains after your tummy tuck you may be able to take care of both issues with a tummy tuck revision. In doing so you may be able to lower your scar and tighten your abdomen. Have a talk with your plastic surgeon and get a few second opinions to make sure you are getting accurate information. All the best, Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck scar and sagging skin

+1

I would expect your scar to continue to improve and become less noticeable up until the one year post op mark.  The scar will never disappear entirely.  In regards to the continued sagging you have you should have a frank discussion with your surgeon about this.  See if they think that you can resonably have this tightened further.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Scars and sagging after a TT

+1

All scars go through a maturation process.  Some areas of the body take longer than others.  One of the stages is the contractuion phase when your scars are red, firm and perhaps a little raised.  You are at that stage.  It took a year and a half for mine TT scars to fade to white.  If yours are really thick you may want to see your surgeons for possible injections, but otherwise just wait.  Your skin should be pretty tight at this point and not have much sagging.  It's hard to comment without photos.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Months Post-TT, Skin Still Sagging, and Scar Very Visible. Options?

+1

Your first option is to post a photo of the area so we can comment accurately. Second is to obtain second opinions