Questions About the Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation Procedure?

I have been looking into the rapid recovery breast augmentation and am having trouble finding a surgeon even a couple hours near sacramento. Is Dr. Ghavami the only surgeon that offers this procedure in California? Ideally I would like to go to him...Is traveling on a airplane a issue a day after the augmentation? Also, of course prices in Beverly Hills are going to be extremely higher then the sacramento area. Approximately how much would this procedure cost?

Breast Augmentation Recovery: Fast or Fiction

+2

Recovering from any operation like breast augmentation will take time. The operation requires the elevation of the muscle to place the breast implant beneath it. The success of the operation is actually very high, and most women are very pleased. Unfortunately, there is pain involved and this will take time to recover and resolve. Everyone is different. Some people need more time than others.

Some doctors will describe "special" techniques they do to shorten the recovery time. This is common for breast enlargement but other procedures also. The 24 hour facelift is another example. Most board certified plastic surgeons will use the techniques they think are best. Thery also use the great majority of the techniques described by the other doctors who claim a more rapid recovery.

Some doctors try to claim superior techniques and recovery time, and this is not always true. Maybe it's just someone selling the procedure? Maybe the doctor is trying to claim superiority over others that is not necessarily the truth?

Interestingly, I trained at the University of California Davis Medical Center in Sacramento. There are a lot of excellent plastic surgeons there. I recommend staying locally for your operation. This does make it easier if something goes wrong. Breast augmentation risks do happen. Of coarse, risks are low, and we hope this does not happen.

I use a "Pain-Buster." This is a device that slowly gives you lidocaine to decrease pain for 72 hours after surgery. I think it is great, and it really decreases recovery pain and hence time. Try to get a surgeon who uses this device.

There are no set answers to all of your questions. Hopefully my answers have helped a little. Good luck with your surgery!

West Chester Plastic Surgeon

Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation

+1
I hope that you found a surgeon who employs the rapid recovery breast augmentation protocol.It is great.All of my patients want fast recovery, less pain and good results.Who wouldn't?The 24 hour recovery breast augmentation technique is tried and proven.It was first presented in the plastic surgery literature in 2002.Sports medicine has taught us that motion is therapeutic and this is essentially what the rapid recovery protocol does.It gets you moving early.

We now have Sientra implants and they do not need massage and you are encouraged to move with these implants (just not lift).This makes the rapid recovery even easier.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

BBA Recovery

+1

It really depends on a few factors. Adequate pain control is likely the most important. Individual pain tolerance differs greatly. I find that women who have had children generally have less post-op pain, as they have a much higher pain tolerance. From a surgical point of view, there are several things the surgeon/anaesthesiologist can do to decrease your post-op pain.

I generally perform breast blocks prior to making any incisions with a mix of short- and long-acting local anaesthetics. I have found this greatly reduces post-op pain. I also encourage patients to take the prescribed pain killers regularly every 4 hours especially for the first 24-48 hours. If you don't stay on top of the pain in the immediate post-operative period, it is extremely difficult to "catch-up". Most of my patients experience very little post-op pain after breast augmentation.

Of course, the type of augmentation you have will also determine your post-operative discomfort. Larger implants, and subpectoral implant placement will also increase post-op discomfort. This doesn't mean you shouldn't get large implants, or place them under the muscle - you simply need to know what to expect. Many women also experience difficulty with sleeping in the first few weeks after augmentation due to the weight of the implants on their chest. This is more significant in back-sleepers.

To answer your question about time off work, my experience has been that there is a huge range. I have patients that go back to work the next day (against my advice), and I have had patients take as much as 2 weeks off of work. It really depends on what you do for work, and how you feel. As for taking care of your kids, if your implant is placed under the muscle, it will be a few weeks before you feel comfortable enough to pick them up.

As for scars, I tell patients it will take a year to see the absolute final result. Practically, however, by 3-6 months the scar will be very close to the final result. I suggest 3M paper taping, and have a specific scar massage protocol I use to help speed scar resolution.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)