Questions on Rhinoplasty/chin Reduction. Please Help!

I had a rhino/chinreduction 2 weeks ago. My chin looks even bigger than it did before, it looks so huge it is gross. Also with my rhino (open) in my right nostril around where the incision was made a have a growth that it red, firm, and about the shape of a pea. My doc said it is from the sutures, but what is this and will it go away? I no longer have the sutures. This started out very small and has gotten bigger and firmer. Is my chin bigger from swelling, and what is in my nostril?

2 weeks Post-op Rhino chin reduction

+2

At 2 weeks post op it is normal to see a lot of swelling. At first your chin WILL look bigger and firmer, it may take up to 6 weeks for the swelling to come down and the firmness may take longer to go away. 

As for your nose: it is a granuloma (called Foreign Body Granuloma) and it is due to a stitch. it is self limiting, and your surgeon needs to removed it. it will have no consequences on the final result of your surgeries. 

Rhinoplasty / chin reduction questions

+2

Hi. At 2 weeks, a sigificant portion of the edema from your surgery is still present. The edema can affect the appearance of the operative sites including both your nose and your chin. It is good that your surgeon examined the growth that you noted. In addition to external sutures that may have been removed, absorbable sutures are typically used inside the nose during rhinoplasty. Those can take take weeks to months to be broken down entirely. Only your surgeon knows which sutures were used and where, so he or she can best answer when it can be expected to resolve. Be sure to keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon and inform him or her of any concerns. Good luck. 

James M. Pearson, MD

Swelling after chin reduction and rhinoplasty

+2

It is difficult to render an opinion or even suggest a treatment without physical examination or at least reviewing some of your facial pictures. However, base on your descriptions you have a normal post operative chin-reduction swelling which will take about a month to subside. Then you can see significant changes to your chin. As far as swelling and redness around your nostril, you need to see your surgeon; it might be infection or reaction to sutures. Good luck and good healing. Dr. Kevin Sadati 

Kevin Sadati, DO

Larger Chin after Reduction

+2

If the goal of your operation was to reduce your chin, it is hard to believe that your surgeon would increase the size: therefore, I assume you're dealing with temporary post-op swelling. It is difficult advise you re the "growth" adjacent to the nostril incision without a picture, but I would follow the recommendations of your physician.

+2

The swelling after chin reduction can be considerable. After this has resolved, it will look smaller. The growth inside your nose may be suture granuloma which is reaction to presence of the suture. Your surgeon should be able to take care of it.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty healing

+2

You are still very early in the healing phase after a rhinoplasty. The incisions can often be quite swollen in the early period after surgery. If the incision inside the nostril is still raised after a few months, steroid injections and daily massaging of the scar may help.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty/Chin Reduction

+1

Swelling post op is normal. It may take up to 6 wks for swelling to go down. The "growth" in your nose may be a granuloma that your surgeon will need to address.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I would think that the chin swelling is temporary and as far as the red shaped mass after your Rhinoplasty, I suggest that you follow the instructions of your Rhinoplasty surgeon.