Questions about rhinoplasty and the healing process?

I'm 16 years old and with my mothers approval I might get a nose job this summer. I'd like to know how long I'd have to wear a cast being that I don't really want to go to school with one. I'm going for a cuter "button" nosed look. I might get my straight bridge curved and my tip slightly rotated up. My main concerns are that I'll end up looking like miss piggy or something out of a Dr. Seuss book, or that I'll get those weird looking slit nostrils like the Jacksons. What's going to happen?

Rhinoplasty and healing process

+1

Tahiri, the cast is typically worn for 5-7 days following rhinoplasty. Depending on what your specific needs are, you may not require to have a cast. It is important that you discuss your concerns with a rhinoplasty specialist, and get an opportunity to undergo simulation of your nose photos. This would help you communicate your desires and would allow the surgeon to answer more clearly as to the surgery that you would need and the recovery process. In skilled hands, your chance of looking like 'miss piggy' or 'weird like the Jacksons' is highly unlikely.

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Talk to the Doctor

+1

See a well experienced Rhinoplastic surgeon -- look at the photos and let the doctor what you want and don't want. They should explain everything to you. You only wear a splint for a short while --- my patients have it on for 4-7 days at most. Recovery is rapid. Usually you have little black and blue. The swelling goes away over time. If done early in the summer -- you will be fine to go back to school in the fall.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Rhinoplasty Planning

+1

Hi Tahiri,

It sounds like you are looking for a subtle type of change to your nose. Provided your surgeon listens to what you want, the likelihood of it looking overdone is very low. 'Miss Piggy' type noses typically occur when the nasal tip cartilage and the bottom of the septum are over-reduced. The profile is hard to over-reduce, unless you are trying to make a big change there too. In skilled hands, you should not worry about those issues.

In terms of the post-op, casts are typically left on for 7 days. For lighter types of cases, I will remove at 4-5 days. Bruising and swelling will still be there a week later, but most people are OK with going back to work or school at that time. If you want a little more time, 10-14 days off is more than enough. For that reason, many patients in high school or college decide to do this surgery over a summer break or a school vacation.

Good luck with your procedure. All the best

Dr. Westreich

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The splint is typically removed in 7 days. Natural results can always be achieved.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA