What Are Recommended Questions To Ask PS In Consultation for BA For Tuberous and Asymmetric Breasts? (photo)

I have tuberous breast with severe asymmetry. I am going to my first consultation next Frqiday and I have no idea what questions to ask the ps. He is board certified with over 20 years of experience and has delt with other patients that have the tuberous defect. I am wanting a breast lift with implants. His assistant said that I shouldn't need a lift. What do you think from my picture? Can you please advise me as what to ask my plastic surgeon.\? THANKS!

Questions to ask Plastic Surgeon about Tuberous Breast and Breast Asymetry

+2

Tuberous Breasts and Asymetrical Breasts are challenging problems for any Plastic Surgeon. Personally I usually recommend seeing two Plastic Surgeons who are Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

There are many options available to correct Tuberous Breasts and Breast Asymmetry.

Ask your surgeon about:

1. Will a Mastopexy or Breast Lift be Required

2. Will you need a two stage procedure such as Soft Tissue Expansion followed by Breast Augmentation.

3. Ask to see Before and After Photos of Tuberous Breast R3econstructions that the surgeon has performed.

From your photos it appears that you will likely need a Mastopexy or Lift and Breast Augmentation. Be certain to discuss and understand the scars that you will be left with.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-breast-augmentation-breast-enlargement/

Correction of asymmetry for tuberous breasts

+2

Thank you for your question and the photo. Yes, you will likely benefit from a lift with or without implants. If you are young, you may consider the lift now and implants later after children. When you see your surgeon, ask about the location of the incisions and the risks, benefits, and potential compllications of surgery. If you get surgery done when you are young, there is a very high likelihood of getting things redone as you get older, have children, and your weight changes up or down.  This is part of it. Your breasts will change throughout your lifetime.

To be sure what is specifically best for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

You need a lift with implants

+2

You need a lift with implants, but the good news is your breasts are NOT tuberous. Just saggy and a bit asymetrical. You should have a nice result.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com

Ask about what you wish to look like

+2

Your breast is not tuberous or constricted in any way, though you are asymmetric, and quite ptotic as the nipple is pointing down to the floor. If his assistant really said you do not need a lift there is a big red flag and you should start looking for another practice.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Challenges in Breast Augmentation: Tuberous Breast Deformity

+2

Tuberous breast deformity makes breast augmentation a much more challenging operation, but in the right hands it can be tremendously rewarding for both patient and surgeon alike.  Questions one should ask during a consultation are the basics:

1. Does this surgeon do this surgery?  Do they do it often?  On people who look similar to me? 
2. Is the surgeon board certified?  Do they have positive reviews?  Was your experience in the office, consult, and exam positive and informing?  Do you like the plastic surgeon?
3. What are your expectations?  There are limitations with tuberous breasts as well as normal breast anatomy?  Many thing can be made better but nothing will ever be perfect.

At my practice I often treat patients with tuberous breast deformity.  In general patients who look similar to you will need some type of breast lift/areolar reduction as part of their surgery.  Don't be discouraged if the receptionist doesn't know this--she isn’t the one doing your surgery :)  I also use sizers intraoperatively to best match the breast size and then choose implants based on that size match. 

We always have a general game plan before going into the operating room so ask your surgeon what the plan should be and how he/she would carry it out. 
Surgery of this type can take awhile to get good results so don't be surprised at higher costs for surgeon's fees and hospital/anesthesia costs. 
Best of Luck,

Dr. Kerr

You need a mastopexy

+1

From your photos, it appears that your right breast is not really tuberous (narrow base, "pouting" areola); rather it is just quite ptotic (drooping);  Grade III ptosis in fact with the areola rolling over the lower pole of the breast.  The left breast is smaller and also ptotic, but I can't really tell from the photo whether or not the base is narrow.

In general, patient's with severe (Grade III) ptosis will not get a satisfactory result with augmentation alone.  You definitely need bilateral lifts, and you need different size implants to correct the size asymmetry.  These procedures can be done together or separately.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts?

+1

I do not think that your breasts are really tuberous. You certainly have asymmetry and your nipples are located lower on your breasts. Tuberous breast have more of a developmental abnormality with a constricted base and other problems with their areolas. You definitely are going to need a lift if you want your nipples more in the center. I honestly think that you will get the best results if you do this in two stages. First get the lift and the asymmetry corrected and then second, increase the size with implants. I know it's not what you want to hear but it will be more predictable in getting you where you want to get to in the long run. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/html/breast-augmentation-procedure.html

Questions to ask About Asymmetric Breasts?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Your pictures demonstrate asymmetric breast ptosis;  you will benefit from breast lifting plus/minus breast augmentation. Exactly what procedure will be indicated will depend on your personal goals.

You should be very careful with your selection of plastic surgeon. Your interaction with his “assistant”  (indicating that you do not need a breast lift) is not encouraging.

Make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and ask to see lots of examples of his/her work in pictures and/or in person.  Unfortunately, “board certification with 20 years of experience” does not necessarily guarantee good quality work.

Communicate your goals clearly. in my practice I preferred the use of “goal” pictures as opposed to terms such as “natural” or a discussion of cup size.

Sometimes patients like your self benefit from a two-stage procedure;  during the initial procedure a breast lift/ reduction is accomplished  in order to improve symmetry.  A second stage breast augmentation may be necessary to achieve your overall goals.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLiftAug.htm

Asymmetric tuberous breasts recommendations for correction

+1

You do not have tuberous breasts, just asymmetric breasts with a narrow upper pole. The best way to correct this problem is with a combination of a breast lift (mastopexy) and augmentation.  It may take more than one procedure to correct your problem.

Washington Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

You definitely need a lift. I would say you probably do not have a tuberous deformity but you do have very low lying breasts without any upper pole tissue.