What Questions Should I Ask my Doctor Before a Breast Lift with Augmentation?

What questions should I ask my doctor regarding the procedure (breast lift with augmentation) and recovery? What do I need to know?

+3
  • Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? A sound-alike name will not be a board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.)
  • If I prefer to do this in a hospital, do you have privileges to do breast augmentation? This is  a good screening tool, because hospitals are careful to allow only qualified surgeons to operate in their facilities. Surgeons can do pretty much whatever they choose in their own facilities.
  • How many cosmetic breast operations do you do in a year? Fifty is about average for self defined specialists in cosmetic breast surgery. (Reference: American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery).
  • Can I see photos of patients on whom you have operated?
  • Are my expectations realistic?
  • What are the risks, and what happens if I have complications from my surgery?
  • What are the financial policies for revision surgery?
  • Is it safer to do these two procedures together or separately? (Either may be reasonable, and you may well get differing opinions on this)

If the advice your get is outside of your expectations, consider getting another opinion. 

Thanks for the question, best wishes.

+2

I agree that first and foremost you need to do your research to make sure you surgeon is board certified in Plastic Surgery and that they are members of at least the American Society of Plastic Surgery. It is so important at the outset to know you are getting at minimum a surgeon who has been trained in the standard procedures that Plastic Surgery has to offer. Once you find a surgeon then I would talk to patients who have had your proposed surgery and see if they are happy. It is a must that you feel comfortable and at ease with your surgeon. You should have a very relaxed consultation and the staff should make you feel comfortable. Explore the different incision patterns for an augmentation and mastopexy. I will tell you that this is the hardest surgery we do. Even harder than a facelift in my opinion because we are altering so many different components of the breast including size of the breast, position of the nipple, and many other things all at once. That is why this procedure once was only done in two stages. Lastly, spend a lot of time really discussing size with your surgeon and trying on implants.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Lift and Augmentation

+2

Patients that are well educated prior to their consultation will ask better questions and comprehend more of what is being said. You should go to the official website of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery to get information about all potential procedures you are contemplating.

Your consultation should be thorough and unrushed. The surgeon should explain the risks benefits and alternatives to the proposed surgeries. A physical exam will help guide the surgeon to what is most appropriate for you and he should be very clear in explaining it.

Certification by the ABPS and membership to the ASAPS are the minimum requirements for your potential surgeon. This will insure that the surgeon has been adequately trained, has hospital privileges for those procedures, and performs mostly aesthetic/cosmetic plastic surgery. The appropriate surgeon's practice should be heavily weighted in breast surgery, including breast augmentation, breast lifts, breast reductions, and revisions of those surgeries.  The appropriate surgeon will have a reputation as a breast specialist as well.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast lift and augmentation

+2

It is important to know if your doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon, and if they do a reasonable amount of breast surgery.  Make sure you are happy with the staff and the doctor as well.

Best questions to ask before breast augmentation

+2

The best questions to ask are: Are you a board certified plastic surgeon? Do you normally perform the augmentation and lift during the same operation or in two separate surgeries? As for recovery, it is similar to an augmentation alone. Most patients can return to a desk job in 5-6 days.

Donna Rich, MD

Questions to ask before surgery

+2

I would agree with the previous post and also add that you should ask your doctor what surgical techniques he/she uses.  I feel that "one key does not fit every lock" and do different implant placements and lifts for different body types.  Seeing before and after photos of patients like you would also be very helpful.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift with Augmentation

+1

Choosing the right surgeon for you is the most important decision when deciding to have cosmetic surgery.  You need to feel comfortable with the person you choose and feel confident with being able to have an open and frank conversation with him or her.  Some questions you may want to ask are:

-is he or she a board certified surgeon?

-how many surgeries of this type have they performed?

-before and after photos

You may have to meet with more than one surgeon before you find the one who is right for you.  I offer free consultations for all of my patients.  These consultations are a great opportunity to meet and discuss your surgical options.

Frank Lista, MD

Recommended technique

+1

Before you visit the doctor you should find out whether he is board certified.  Only make appointments with board certified plastic surgeons.  After the examination, you need to know what technique he recommends.  The best technique produces the least amount of visible scar.  The circumareola apporach hides the incisions better than other techniques such as the lollipop or boat anchor.  You should see examples of the physician's results using his recommended technique.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Questions before surgery

+1

I would recommend you do a little research before your consultation.  The American Society of Plastic Surgery has a wonderful, non-biased website with some helpful information.  You need to be prepared to discuss your surgery goals with your plastic surgeon.  He/she in turn should be able to provide you with the risks/benefits associated with the surgeries you are considering.  You also want to be sure that the physician you are seeing is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

The Questions To Ask During A Consultation Prior A Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for an important question.

With what follows I will try to provide you with the main and the most important questions to ask when in consultation for a breast augmentation or any other cosmetic surgery.

• Do you have certification with REPUTABLE boards such as ASPS, etc.
  • Do you have privileges performing surgeries at a hospitals?
  • How many breast augmentation procedures do you perform a year? How many of them are corrective surgeries performed on patients who had different surgeons (corrective surgeries require supreme skills and are of a delicate nature that very few surgeons master).
  • Can you meet with former patients who can share their experiences with you?

Make sure that you visit your surgeon's website checking his/her photo gallery and their credentials that you should verify; the official website of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery is a great source of information to consider.

During consultation, your surgeon will discuss with you the different aspects of your surgery and will explain to you what you need to know to make a well-informed decision.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS