Questions to Ask Before Getting Lumineers

What questions should I ask my dentist before I get Lumineers?

Minimal prep porcelain veneers

+1

The other dentists have provided some very useful insight and information regarding veneers.  I would like to suggest that when you look at before and after photos be sure to:

1) Look at close up and full facial.  Many times full facial looks fine further away but up close Lumineers often look bulky and opaque

2)  Look a the side view photos, this will show if the look bulky, especially the cuspids. 

Many porcelain veneer cases can be done with "minimally invasive dentistry techniques" . In the case of veneers, sometimes minimal prep veneers are a better option.  In these cases, a  mock workup can be done in the mouth which gives you a chance to see how the end results would look prior to deciding to do prepless veneers..

Ronald W. Konig DDS, FAGD, LVIF

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

It is important to ask questions!

+1

Asking questions is important because you want it done right the first time!

1. How much Experience do you have with Cosmetic Dentistry? Anyone can take a course and claim they have "advanced training". How many Porcelain Veneers have you done and for how many years have you been doing them?
  2. Are Lumineers the best for me? Any dentist that has done enough veneer work will tell you there are much better options.
  3. Can you show me pictures of your work? Lots of them, especially ones that are similar to my situation.
  4. Can I talk to any of your patients about the experience? This is a great one to get a grip on what to expect.
  5. What if one breaks? Do you stand behind your work and for how long?

Be an educated consumer. Any dentist can talk the talk but you want one that can also walk the walk!

Joseph W. Worthington, DDS
Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

Pre treatment interview

+1

Some of the most important questions to ask:

1. Where did you get your cosmetic training?
  2. How many Lumineers cases have you personally done?
  3. How long have they been in service?
  4. May I see photos of your Lumineers cases?
  5. What alternatives are there?
  6. Do you have a Lumineers photo of a case before/after/reverse?

Lumineers will say that they are reversible; however, in order to remove the Lumineers, they must be drilled off, affecting the tooth structure underneath, requiring treatment of some kind. They are not truly reversible.

That is not to say they can't be done well, but before you begin you should know what you should expect.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Questions to ask before getting Lumineers

+1

Most important questions for you to ask your dentist are:

1. What advanced training do you have in all cosmetic dental options (all types of veneers, invisalign, orthodontics, etc)

2. How many of these types of cases have you treated?

3. Will you show me pictures of your before and after cases?

4. What other options do I have besides Lumineers?

5. What are the pros and cons of this (and other) treatment?

Gerilyn Alfe, DMD
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist