Uneven Swelling - How Do I Know if It is Fluid?

Thank you Doctors for the answers to my previous question. All helpful and one was very funny and helpful (restored my s.o.h) The swelling is above the scar. But one side is more swollen than the other. The swollen side has been the same for quite a while now. My tummy tuck was four weeks ago. How will I know if it is fluid? If it is will it eventually disappear or do I need to have it drained? I have no access to surgeon - she is in Prague, I am in UK. Not sure if GP can help

Swelling After Tummy Tuck?

+1

I would suggest evaluation by your general practitioner and referral to a plastic surgeon in your area. This will be much more valuable to you than online consultation/speculation. The doctors will be able to diagnose normal swelling as opposed to seroma  by physical examination and/or ultrasound examination.

Fluid after tummy tuck?

+1

At the four week point it is possible to still have fluid contributing to what you're describing.  When a doctor examines you he'll look for a 'fluid wave'.  Actually by tappin one 'end' of the fluid you can appreciate a wave effect confirming that there is fluid present.  This can also be diagnosed by ultrasound or other modalities.  There is a difference of opinion among surgeons regarding whether or not this fluid needs to be drained.  I often do drain the fluid if it's significant.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS