Cost-Saving Idea for Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation

I have had children. I am in good shape 5'7 and 128lbs I am looking to to have a tummy tuck and breast augmentation. My question is I am anal about my tummy tuck and its scar and placement. I am a premed student and in this economy I don't have alot of extra money. I am thinking about having my BA done by a fellow at Lennox hill and saving the extra money to have a tummy tuck by a very well respected Doctor in NYC.I assume a BA is a much easier procedure.Is this a reasonable idea?

Breast Implants Placed through Tummy Tuck Procedure

+2
I would recommend that you do both procedures at once for a few reasons: It will be less expensive as only one anesthesia and recovery room charge, you only have one recovery and time off form work. Your breast augmentation procedure in the right hands can be safely done through your tummy tuck incision so there are no scars on the breast - this is my favorite approach over the past 25 years when both are done at the same time.

Saving Money on Surgery

+2

It may not always be the best idea when it comes to surgery, but if it feels to be a necessity, you can best decide what compromises are acceptable to you.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and abdominoplasty

+2

Hi Nichole, breast augmentation is not as simple as it seems.  I suggest saving your money and using a board-certified surgeon for both procedures.  You can also look into CareCredit, which allows you to pay for your surgery over time.  Many surgeons accept this, although some hospitals do not.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Costs of Augmentation, What Am I actually paying for?

+1
In general, this prices of Breast Augmentation, Lift, or full mommy make overs as well as revisions can vary widely from city to city. For example, a breast augmentation can cost 3-4 times in LA and New York what it costs in Montana.
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods. The size of the implant does not matter, only the type of implant. If a dermal matrix is needed then there is an additional charge (usually about $1,000). In revisions, often the same implant can be used which saves on the implant costs. If a breast lift alone is performed, then obviously there is no implant cost.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Cost saving idea

+1

I don't know if you have received this surgery yet, but if you are interested in saving, I would go with the Fellow for both procedures.  They are both relatively straight forward procedures, but can have much less than optimal results if done poorly.  I, in fact, completed the same fellowship and know the system there.  The best way to ensure a good result is to ask the fellow to involve a surgeon of your choosing that has privileges at Lennox Hill Hospital.  Get the list of Plastic Surgeons on staff there and see if the Fellow will call the ones you prefer to mentor him.  Otherwise, wait until you can afford to go to your surgeon of choice.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Using a resident clinic to reduce costs associated with breast augmentation with implants

+1

To some degree the ability to achieve a successful breast augmentation outcome depends on the appearance and amount of symmetry as well as the size of the implants selected. Your outcome will depend on this and going to someone with greater experience will probably provide you with greater insight as to what to expect as well as to provide you some guidance in your decision making process. Otherwise if it is a straightforward augmentation with modest sized implants, you may achieve and excellent outcome in a resident clinic

Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation by different surgeons

+1

Hi there-

Your plan sounds fine. I would not necessarily say that breast augmentation surgery is "easier" than a tummy tuck, but as long as there are no extenuating circumstances (that is, your breasts are not significantly asymmetric or otherwise requiring more advanced techniques), this should work out fine for you.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Your Cosmetic Plan

+1

Your Idea is okay.  Whether your breast augmentation will be easy depends on the size and shape of your natural breast.  If  money is the main issue maybe you should get the higher cost procedure done by he resident.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck

+1

Most plastic surgeons trained in places which had resident clinics.  These clinics are valuable teaching tools for the students.  Patients agree to have students operate on them in exchange for a lower cost of surgery.  This is a decision that you need to make.

As for the complexity of surgery, I think you have some misunderstandings.  Breast surgery is not simple and neither is abdominoplasty.  Both surgeries require an intimate knowledge of the breast  and abdominal anatomy, respectively.  While surgery may appear simple, it is due to the fact that it is being performed by a highly trained surgeon.  

David Shafer, MD

+1

I see no problem with your plan. Only you will need 2 operations at different times sop an additional anesthesia and healing time. Please explore all options.